Methotrexate - day after

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on methotrexate 15mg for 5 weeks due to RA.  I take it on a Wednesday night and every Thursday I feel totally washed out - a real struggle to even get out of bed.  Is this normal???

thanks

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It happens to lots of people yes - some people call it "methotrexate flu". I know lots of people who work take it on a Friday or Saturday night so they have got over it by Monday to go back to work.

I also know that some people have found it does get better as your body gets used to it - which is something that happens with many drugs.

• Posted

Yes, I have found the same as EileenH. I changed my day from a Tuesday to a Saturday as felt like I couldn't think the day I took it ! But I still find it hard to know whether it is the disease or medication which affects me as some days I am so tired but it doesn't seem to be in any pattern. Still, I m prepared to put up with some side effects as long as the overall changes are for good.smile
  • Posted

Perhaps it will settle down after a few more weeks.  I have now had 3 doses of methotrexate, taken on Saturdays with folic acid on Tuesdays.  I intend to shift things so I take the methotrexate on Fridays or Thursdays so I might feel less wiped out at the weekends.
  • Posted

Hi Terrij yes I'm the same on injections 15 mg take it about 6-7 pm and can be muggy most of next day as my wife will confirm been on injections for over a year and still same with slight variations
  • Posted

Hi Terrij, I have been on Methatrexate for about 5 years, currently on 25mg a week. Like others I take mine on a Friday so that I have the weekend to recover. Yes it does get a bit easier with time but you do need to take into account that living with constant pain can be very wearing and make you tired. Unfortunately, when you have arthritis you have to slow down and accept life in the slow lane. 
  • Posted

Hey!

I'm the same with methotrexate. I've been taking methotrexate since beginning of November last year and at first I was fine but the past two months have been really awful for me so for me it has got worse with time unfortunately. I take mine on a Friday night before bed and the next day is the worst! I feel so sick as if I've been up all night drinking and have the worst hangover ever!

Then it started when I was putting the tablets in mouth I was heaving and it is a real struggle to even take them now because even the thought of then makes me sick. Now I am sometines sick the day after I have taken them.

I have spoken with my RA doctor who has advised me to split the dose in half and take 4 tablets Friday night and then 4 tablets Saturday night and take folic acid every other day apart from the Friday and Saturday that I take methotrexate. Obviously this would have to be something signed off by your doctor and not by me but could be something you could suggest to your RA Doctor? As this may help you. Unfortunately it hasn't worked for me but my doctor has said it does work for a lot of patients, and I am now waiting for my nurse to provide me with the injection form of methotrexate as my RA doctor said this is a lower dosage and patients tend to feel better with this form then oral form - again also another suggestion you could make to your RA doctor.

I am currently trying anti sickness tablets the day after I take my tablets in hope that it will calm the sickness down whilst I wait for my injection form!

I would definitely speak with your doctor tho and see if they can come up with any suggestions to make the day after a bit more liveable. Good luck!

• Posted

Try taking the anti-sickness pills BEFORE you take the mtx. Some of them are brilliant at preventing nausea but aren't as effective if you wait until it starts. It took me ages to get my husband to do that when he was on chemo - the difference was amazing.
    • Posted

That's great advice thank you Eileen! I'll give that a try 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.