enlarged prostate treatment .. TURP

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am told that I need TURP for my enlarged prostae problem . could any one recommend a good Urologist in Dallas Metroplex area who has good experience in this procedure

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ref last post about requirements for PAE to be done at UNC-CH.For those not in the states, that's the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill...one of the top teaching hospitals in the states. One req was for prostate to be at least 80 grams. I was almost hesitant to go because i didn't want to be disappointed. With all req met, the procedure would be totally covered. If not, cost is $6500  (although from some of the prices I've seen quoted on here, that is quite a deal!!  Anyway, had ultrasound today and came in at not just over 80, but 3 times that...at 240! Next step I guess is to get back up with Dr at UNC and see what next step is.  I'm not having a whole lot of trouble with frequency..I'm on Tamulosin and I take Beta sitosterol, (100 times more potent than saw palmetto) I also take melatonin (a must!) selenium and zinc. I also take probiotics (top of the line) and amino acids in liquid form..alittle spray on a salad is good or just in some hot water as a tea. My fear, every day, is that I won't be able to go!  I wound up in the emergency room a few months back and had to be catheterized. If i had had the wherewithal, I would have ended me there and then. The pain was off the scale and I never want to go through that again. I might be repeating myself a little, but it is well worth it if it helps anyone else.
    • Posted

Seems like figures that were written down on printout of prostate ultrasound were transposed somehow (glad the doc stepped up and said something), however, the figures come out to be 420 cubed. Can anyone tell me, not guessing, what that works out to be. I'm sure my Doc will tell me first thing tomorrow but I'm antsy. So far this has been a different world. I've been dealing with Workers Comp and the VA for years and sometimes cry or kick sh*t around the house out of frustration, but now I have met a Dr. that returns calls and answers questions. He genuinely seems to want to help. Go find that someplace...
    • Posted

Haven't found out what 420 cubed is but did find out that whatever it is, it's really big and eliminates me from trials. Now the Doc is trying to get a waiver from the Veterans Authority,,,,yes, the VA,,,hope I don't have to hold my breath. Point of interest. When I first submitted for PTSD claim, the reply back was denied because.....they couldn't find any record of my having been in VietNam. We've got a little thing called a DD214 they give you when you get out..It's got all your awards and ribbons on it. Anyone check that? Riiiight,,,Ok anyway, now at 70 % and shooting for 100 as I am totally unfit to work with other human beans..
    • Posted

You must have had a scan that produces a 3D image but it does not help us work out your size.

The BK 2052 3D Anorectal transducer automatically captures high resolution transvaginal or transrectal anatomy in 60 seconds. So your patient doesn't have to be present for a lengthy exam.  Once the data is captured, our software will construct a 3D data cube, which provides accurate distance, area, angle, and volume measurements, enabling you to accurately visualize deeper structures.  Our BK 3D viewer offers the flexibility to view the 3D images on your desktop computer at any time. Cut through the data cube to see anatomical details in the best plane. Move in and out of the cube. Follow a fistula, for example. Make accurate measurements of pelvic floor features in all planes. The scanned data set is also highly reproducible, with limited operator dependency.

• Posted

You must have had a 3D scan but without the data you are still in the dark.

The BK 2052 3D Anorectal transducer automatically captures high resolution transvaginal or transrectal anatomy in 60 seconds. So your patient doesn't have to be present for a lengthy exam.  Once the data is captured, our software will construct a 3D data cube, which provides accurate distance, area, angle, and volume measurements, enabling you to accurately visualize deeper structures.  Our BK 3D viewer offers the flexibility to view the 3D images on your desktop computer at any time. Cut through the data cube to see anatomical details in the best plane. Move in and out of the cube. Follow a fistula, for example. Make accurate measurements of pelvic floor features in all planes. The scanned data set is also highly reproducible, with limited operator dependency.

• Posted

I've got the pics and measurements.Want to take a look?
    • Posted

It only took a few minutes..
    • Posted

Why not? Someone may make sense of it for you.
    • Posted

The figures are 10x12x7 cm. Don't know if you can see the photos.
    • Posted

I believe he transposed the 2 and the 4 as the numbers multiplied, cubed, equal 420...then you divide that by 2 to get your final figure...240
    • Posted

Seems to be the case. Is it your note, Figures wrong?'

IOt just looks like a standard TRUS scan..

• Posted

Hi Pete,  Sorry I just saw your post tonight.

Dr. Claus Roehrborn is one of the top urologists  in the US and is located in Dallas. He is also a professor and university chair.   He has pioneered the FDA study for the Urolift (you should learn about this procedure as it has no side effects that the TURP has such as a reverse ejackulation or ED).  Dr. Roehrborn is my brothers doctor (great results) and I have a Urolift scheduled with him in November.  Good Luck.  Here is the doctors contact info:

Claus G Roehrborn MD

Professor and Chair

Department of Urology

UT Southwestern Medical Center

5323 Harry Hines Blvd, J8 142

Dallas, TX 75390-9110Office (214) 648 2941 Office FAX (214) 648 0365  

• Posted

Hey there Vacationterry.  I think you will be very pleased with the Urolift.  I live in Orlando Fl My urologist is great.  I had mine done 8 weeks ago 4 implants.  Works great.  No meds and sleep all night.  Turp is the old way..  Take care  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.