Codeine addiction...and how to kick it.

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello,

My name is Jayd and i am 24 years old. I have been a codeine addict for the best part of 3 years now. I am now in my 3rd month of being codeine free and i cannot begin to explain how amazing i feel. You read forums and horror stories about how horrible it is and difficult to come off codeine and i am here to tell you now...it's really not all that bad. I want to help people like me. I will be 100% honest, i will share my feelings and tips and help you become the person you used to be before this nasty drug took over. I can help you. And the new, codeine free you starts today. Do know where all of the pharmacies are in your area? You know what time they open and shut right? You know which one you went to yesterday so you can't go back there today? You know which staff question you and which ones don't? You know the ones that remember your face and know what you're doing but don't say anything? You know how easy it was to get taken in by the warming, floaty feeling you get when you take enough codeine but then you had to start taking more and more and more to get the same effect. And then that warm floaty feeling is gone...you dont get that anymore....you  just have to take it because your body is craving it. And then you take too many and get that sickly feeling in your stomach. You haven't been to the bathroom for days and days because your so backed up. You know your bank statement has a different pharmacy on it every day. You know that you shouldnt be doing it but when the feelings start wearing off, you have to have more. Just a little more. And then you feel okay again. You think nobody notices. Your family, your friends, your partner & your colleagues. They do. They don't know the extent, but they know. Please, let me help you. 

7 likes, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey JaydJames91,

I know it's been 2 yrs since you wrote this but I need some advice and help in regards to kicking my addiction. Any assistance would be verrrrryyyy much appreciated.

I started before surgery due to an injury on my hand and then cut back but had Open Heart Surgery recently (early 20's) and would very much like to stop.

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

I’m so so sorry. Please if you still need a helping hand I am here for you! I forget people can still see this post so I don’t come on very often now sad If you come back to me I’ll check it every day. 
  • Posted

Hi Jayd, 

I would really like your help. Your post.. it's me sad 

i just want want to be the 'old me' again, I just don't see how sad 

• Posted

I’m so so sorry. Please if you still need a helping hand I am here for you! I forget people can still see this post so I don’t come on very often now sad If you come back to me I’ll check it every day. 
  • Posted

Call this number for help 6475370543

Natural remedies. No symtoms

• Posted

Can you help me please
    • Posted

Hi Jaimie,

I can try my best! What’s your situation? You can private message me if you’d feel more comfortable? 

Jayd 

• Posted

Hi.

I need some help. These posts are 2 years old though. Just let me know if anybody sees this before I go rambling on lol.

Billie.

• Posted

Somebody’s always here to help Billie! 
  • Posted

Hi guys bit of an update. I was taking a lot of codeine after an operation in February. In October I went to see the doctor to explain the situation and I’ve had nothing but support and help all the way.  I was on 240 twice a day. I’m not taking three doses a day of 60mg in a long slow taper. I’ve got about another five weeks to go but it’s been not been as bad as cold turkey. Tomorrow I go down to 60 30 60 and then down again the next week. I’ve also been told to look at different helpful websites and an app called headspace which helps with calming the emotions. I’m feeling really positive about it all. If you live in the UK and are open and honest with your GP maybe they will help you the same way as me. I’m so glad I’ve done it. I don’t have to worry about a thing as long as I make every doctors appointment each week I’m ok. Looking forward to the end now. Good luck to those who struggle I hope it works out for you too. I’ll pop back here in a few weeks for an update. Thanks to Jay for starting this thread 
  • Posted

Any health professional treating a codeine addiction with subutex or methadone should be struck from the register.  That is like fighting fire with petrol.  Codeine addiction is so insidious, that a lot of people don't realise they actually have a problem/addiction until they read an article or a friend or family member notices and says something to them.  Despite this insidiousness, on balance it's actually one of the 'easier' substances to get off, when compared to full blown opiates such as heroin, oxycodone etc.  The ease of availability is, I believe, the prime aggravating factor in codeine addiction becoming so prevalent and problematic.

Personally, I've been fighting codeine addiction on and off for the last 2-3 years.  I'm still not out of the woods, but I'm starting to see the light through the trees.  A key element in my latest strategy to kick codeine, has been a herbal supplement called kratom.

N.B. KRATOM IS A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE IN MANY COUNTRIES - IF YOU INTEND ON EXPLORING THIS SUPPLEMENT FURTHER, PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE LEGAL STATUS IN YOUR JURISDICTION.

I have found kratom mitigates the physical and mental withdrawal symptoms by up to 80%.  It is borderline miraculous how effectively it does this.  Although the real challenge facing addicts is encountered during the PAWS stage, which can last up to 4-5 months after kicking, kratom can really help you through the initial acute phase.  I believe the latter is what keeps many people using, as they are staving off withdrawal until they feel ready to attempt to kick again.

If kratom isn't an option for you, then there is also a vitamin C mega-dose strategy that also works very well.  It can be found easily enough on google.

Best of luck to everyone trying to get this monkey off their back!  You can do it.

• Posted

Ok, so here I go. I’m 43, was on 65 nurofen plus a day before I quit cold turkey. 

On day 3 now and ever so slightly the withdrawals are a little better today.

Was on them for about 3 years, but the stupid part is I was addicted to them for 5 years in my early 30’s, quit cold turkey and it was hell for me, took me 3 months to shake the RLS, but I quit. Knowing all that, 10+ years later I fall for them again. 

I know the road ahead is hard, but here in Australia all codein products are going on script from Feb 2018, so I just thought I’d get a head start on this ugly drug.

• Posted

Ok guys, need some advice here. I’m on day 4 of cold turkey and for some reason today has been the worst day. I have severe RLS (restless leg syndrom) due to the withdrawals:

I’ve bought from a health store Ttrosine 1000 and Valerian tablets. Read somewhere else that these 2 take care of RLS, but they’ve done nothing.

I’m close to asking for weed from my friends to see if that will help, I haven’t slept for even 5 minutes. I’m so tired, I’m pain and my whole body feels like poo.

Anyone  else go through this? Specially on day 4?

• Posted

Day 3 and 4 are usually the worst - should get easier after that.  The real challenge is the PAWS, which can last from the end of the acute phase to the 2 or 3 month mark.  Best of luck!
    • Posted

I think it’s been about a month since I’ve stopped N+, can’t believe I was taking so many tablets a day, I laugh now when I think about it to be honest. I have no withdrawals whatsoever, my RLS has been great, and all I’m taking is a daily multivitamin.

I’m feeling a little tired at times but that could be because I became very unfit from a long time of taking N+.

Thank god im not on that evil drug anymore, went to a few GP’s and asked them to help me with my RLS, and all they wanted to do is either give me Xanax or Valium, I refused them both as they are just as bad if not worst than codeine.

Good luck to anyone that’s trying to beat this evil drug and always remember, your not alone.  I have a wife and 3 kids and I made a commitment to them that I will raise them and provide for them for as long as I can, that’s been my inspiration to stay off the codeine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.