40mg lipitor side effects

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I have recently been taking 40mg lipitor meds due to raised cholesterol. I have been on these for several months and recently have noticed that I an physically and mentally exhausted on a daily basis. I feel light headed and nauseas, sometimes I vomit. I have no appetite. I am struggling to complete my daily job and my social life as ended up non existent. I am always tired to the extent of I have a sleep in my car for half hour before going to pick my wife up from work. She finishes an hour later than me. Before I used to come home tidy up do some chores etc. Now there is no chance. Can lipitor side effects actually be this bad? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies.
  • Posted

I know this is an old thread, but Lipitor caused me a problem that my doctor wouldn't acknowledge. Was having upper stomach pain. I was on Lipitor prior to this for many years. I was given a blood test for CA19. This is a tumor marker for the pancreas. My level came back at 42 U/ml The normal level is under 37. Other tests showed that my pancreas was fine, but why was this level elevated? I'm a relatively healthy 47 y/o male. My doctor had no answer,  it wanted a follow up in 6 months. Another blood test shows the CA19 level was still the same. My doctors position was it can be a false positive. Didn't sit well w me. So, I stopped taking Lipitor for 6 months and had the rest done again. Guess what? My CA 19 went down to 27 and in the normal zone. I explained this to my DR but he didn't want to hear it. He said that it wasn't the Lipitor that was causing the numbers to rise and it was a false positive. While I was off the Lipitor for that 6 months, my cholesterol levels did rise significantly. The Lipitor was definitely causing my CA19 numbers to rise. 

• Posted

Having suffered considerably from the effects of statins taken for only a few weeks, my instinctive reaction is find another way to reduce your cholesterol preferably through careful eating and avoid all statins like the plague as you could well be building up future problems. Did you have a heart attack? Blocked arteries? Do you smoke? Eat the wrong foods? Doctors are paid to dish out statins like smarties and there are many who have no ill effects, you do, so think on to the future and change doctors!
  • Posted

Hi Mark

Sounds like you need a rest however joking apart I am curious to know whether you measure your blood pressure (tension) as well as taking your pulse on a regular basis. You have many of the symptoms of low blood pressure

I doubt Atorvastatin is the cause - there are other factors. 

What other drugs do you take. It would be interesting to see your doctor and change the dose(s) (titrate) in order to ameliorate your situation. 

I have been taking Atorvastatin for over a year and I have passed through similar symptoms. Now I exercise regularly (I walk a lot) and I am still working. My muscle tone is still good as I was regularly training before my arteries blocked.

I hope this simple pragmatic advice helps - know that your body knows best.

Kind Regards

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.