Under active thyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

1984/85 had radio active iodean injection during kidney investigation procedures 3 times. Could this have lead to my thyroid condition today? Incidently they found nothing wrong.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

this is a very interesting question. I suspect the answer is yes. Scans can affect the thyroid in themselves. I am unsure whether the radio active iodine that is used can affect the thyroid but anything is possible. 

What are yiur signs and symptoms/ Are you exhibiting a hypoactive thyroid or an overactive one?

• Posted

I reacted severely to the iodine tracer injection when i had a ct scan last year, I found some very useful information on the Thyroid UK website. Apparently when the body is subjected to high levels of iodine the thyroid gland basically shuts down, it made me feel dreadful. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 25 years ago when i was 19. I have been taking levothyroxine ever since although I have often had to battle with the doctors to get my levels right. I have also had to take vitamin d for the past year as I was struggling with fatigue.

In my experience there is a link between the state of the thyroid function and iodine, when I had my first child, I was swabbed down on my back with iodine before having an epidural.......the excess iodine pooled on the absorbent sheet on the bed and I ended up with a chemical burn!

Not enough doctors listen to how patients feel......blood tests often show levels 'within the normal range' and so doctors refuse to alter the dose, but it depends on how your body functions at its best.....it may be at the lower end of the scale or at the upper end......and still be within the normal range!!!

Don't be fobbed off if you don't feel well! It's will only lead to more symptoms!!

• Posted

Hello Staphen:

I am a nurse and live in the USA.

The answer is Yes,  sadly RAI can destroy a thyroid gland and will bring on Hypothyroid problems. Are you on replacement thyroid meds?

It is very strong and will kill off the gland.  I am sorry to hear this.

Stay well, Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.