Doctor wants me to weight bear 2 weeks after trimalleolar fracture - advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Doctor wants me to weight bear 2 weeks after trimalleolar fracture - advice?

Hi, i'm 20 years old and broke my ankle in 3 places 12 days ago. I was put in a cast with no surgery as the bones were not displaced. I had to have an x ray weekly to check bones had not moved. However, today was my 2nd week and the doctor said the bone had not moved and is going to place me in a lightweight cast with a walking boot. He told me to put weight on my foot in short but frequent bursts, with removal of the whole cast in 4 weeks.

Has anyone had a similar experience, everywhere i've read online it states a tri break is very complex and normally requires surgery with no weight bearing at all for at least a minimum of 6 weeks. i'm surprised my doctor has told me completely different advice, is this very unusual. do you have any advice?

Thanks for your help smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had an ankle replacement in June. My exp. is different to yours but it similarly involves sawing through bones and much disturbance to veins and capillaries with much swelling afterwards.

Like others who had this who I have chatted with in this forum, there was no advice in leaving hospital but a cast was on for 2 weeks. It has been very useful to chat to others here.

Having almost come through it (still limping a little and esp. towards the end of the day), I would advise you listen to your body and don't overdo it. I think it's different for everyone and depends on how much weight you carry also. Don't do it all at once. You can put just a fraction of your wright on it using the 2 crutches to begin and you will know if it feels right. If the pain is mild, you can gradually begin to increase it over the weeks until you only need one crutch on the opposite side. This worked for me and I am walking without crutches easily now but I still put it up whenever I am not standing if possible. I also massage it with coconut oil to stimulate recovery of vessels.

I take the view that overcoming mild pain to strengthen muscles is great but severe pain is your body telling you to leave it for a bit.

I am 4 months post op now and feel that in 6 months I will be fully recovered. It's a long process I'm afraid but worth looking after it now.

Good luck with it all medhia23661 

• Posted

Hi,i broke both mine 14 weeks ago one trimalleor ,i was non weight bearing for 6 weeks after surgeryin plaster the other one aircast boot also non weight bearing  ,on 2 crutches now having hydrotherapy still very painful and stiff 
  • Posted

Hi there

I too broke all 3 bones in my ankle at the end of September. I was immediately put in a full cast and had weekly xrays to check the position to see if I would need surgery. My bones are apparantly in good alignment so I havent had surgery and have been worried as I only found information saying surgery was required. I feel slightly relieved to find im not the only one. At my 2nd week check my consultant considered weight bearing but then decided not to, which i am really glad of as I was still in a lot of pain at that point. Maybe he looked at my not skinny frame to make that decision, or maybe its my age, being 41. I am still in the full cast put on by the A&E team and have this off on the 10th Nov.

Do you still get pain from your ankle? Can you move your toes without pain? How is your weightbearing going?

Im dreading my cast coming off, its my protection. Im also worried about how long this is all going to take before I can be nearly myself again.

It would be good to hear of your experience as you must be at about the same stage as me.

• Posted

Hello,

It's good to see someone on a similar treatment plan as me! The internet made me feel like all trimalleolar breaks require surgery.

My cast is off on the 6th of November. I occasionally get slight a little pain in my ankle but not very regularly. I can wiggle my toes with no pain at all. The swelling I think has come down a lot but still some present. Weight bearing is going well I am able to only on one crutch if need be and can put about 7 stones of weight on to it. I'm hoping I will be able to walk again without any aids in the next few weeks. I think my bone seems to be healing well due to only being 20 and taking daily supplements. I am dreading my cast coming off as 5 weeks seems like an awfully short time in comparison of other people's experiences.

How is your ankle pain? Have you started weight bearing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.