Help ..

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all, just thought I would update you all, I saw a new, and a very empathic consultant today, who sat with me and listened to what I had to say about my pain, and how I'm not coping very well. He examined me, and sat and agreed that the time has come for my hip to be replaced.  

I went to the same hospital I went too 2 months ago where I was told I was far to young, and to go back when the pain is unbearable, but make sure that's in 15 years time. How consultants differ in their views .. 

Anyway, I'm on the waiting list for right hip replacement, waiting time in Staffordshire is 4-5 months.... 

Being a PPP worked! 

I am of course scared to death, but I know the pain I have suffered for the past 22 months can not continue .... 

6 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had my first hip done at 33- I thought I was in unbelievable pain.  It was bad- but nothing like when my left hip started going bad last year.... THAT was TORTURE and it went FAST.  I called and called and emailed and called- trying to get moved up on the waiting list.... I ended up in the ER once because the pain was so bad.... finally they had a last minute cancellation and now I am 6 weeks post op.  You have to MAKE PEOPLE listen- you have to be a pain.... otherwise you will be living in pain for a long time.  UGH.
  • Posted

Don't be scared it will be worth it it is a big deal but if you do your physio and push yourself just a little bit you will soon have your life back. Im eight months post op now. Its been challenging at times but im glad I went through with it. Im 54by the way. Take care
  • Posted

Don't be scared, the worst is the pain while waiting for surgery. As difficult a recovery has been it hasn't been as bad for me as the last year. The relief of the gaining pain is fabulous.
  • Posted

Hi Barbara

i am so glad you persisted and found a decent surgeon. I know you are scared. It is a big step but also a releif when someone actually listens to you. 

If while you are waiting the pain gets any worse let your surgeon know. 

You  know the support is here on the forum you won't be doing this alone. 

Just think how you will feel to be pain free after a few months. You will be ready to enjoy the summer next year. 

• Posted

Barbara - no such thing as too young.  I got a wake-up call when I met a young lady in her 40's and she was on her second time around, first hip replacments if I remember before she was 20, she was having a double hip replacement on the same day. Ran into her again in outpatients months later, I didn't recognise her, she was soooo well compared to what she had been. As for me, my daughter still talks about how 10 years vanished from me within days of my first THR, its the pain and Dr's, especially when you go to them for help, not acknowledging your pain, also treating you like an idot for complaining. No way are any of us hippies idiots. and know you have lots of support here, for the good and bad days.
  • Posted

hello barbara.

glad you have found a good surgeon. That is half the battle.

Lots of us here have got fed up waitning for treatment. also doctors do not believe how much pain you are in.

You have made a good decision here. Your hip may get worse during the waiting time so be prepared for a few tough days ahead.

hUGS

• Posted

Dear Barbara,

That is good news and kudos to you for having the courage to get another opinion!!

Maybe a stupid question, but what  is a PPP?

warm hug

renee

• Posted

That's great news for you and positive for the rest of us playig the waiting game, but what is a PPP and can I be one?
  • Posted

Isnt it amazing the difference between 2 months and 2 surgeons in the same hospital! Glad you have found the right consultant and are on the waiting list. 😀

Is PPP a private medical insurance?

Linnet x

• Posted

I can't believe you have to wait when you have

private insurance. Presuming you don't want to

wait 4-5 months I would check that they haven't

made a mistake. What's the NHS waiting time?

You are allowed to ask questions, I am with AXA/PPP

and they liased with the hospital. Give them a ring.

good luck Cathie

• Posted

No such thing as to Young, if it needs doing, it needs doing, I am 53 and had a bilateral hip replacement in May and a knee replacement in August.

luckily was never told I was too young.

good luck Kaye 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.