How much sleep do you get?

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm wondering how much sleep do you get?

Frustrated when the scientist or medical society say we should get or need atleast 8 hours a night. I've always functioned better with 6-7.  Now days I'm lucky to sleep 2-3 hours then get up to pee then 2 more hours, then up, then 2 more.  Sometimes I can't get back to sleep so I'm awake for 2 hours in middle of night.

I often wake from the new pain in my should blade area or the pain in my middle back. 

When I decide to get up for the day and try moving around, go for walk, then I get tired again. Yesterday was good day since I could go back to sleep after my pee breaks, so I was able to function more, but back to the ole "did I do too much for my PMR to handle"? 

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Layne

I too hope to get answers. I too am lucky if i get 2 hours then back then maybe 2. Last night bed at 10 up at 1230 then toss and turn all night.

I'm on a sleeping pill but obviously this one is not working. This is the 2nd sleeping pill so i will try the next one my dr. prescribed. If anyone has thoughts.

First pill Imovaine, then Sublimox sorry about spelling.

Exhausted Mariane

• Posted

Hi Mariane,

My Dr. prescribed  Zopiclone (sp??) and it really works for me. I only take it if I haven't slept for a couple of nights so my body doesn't get dependent  on it. 

Hope you find something that works because not sleeping really sucks!!

Diana🌸

• Posted

Sleep is an individual thing.  Some people need 7/8 hrs per night others

6/7 hrs.

Worrying about not sleeping is counter productive.  You worry, toss and turn, etc etc.  Of course you can't sleep then.  When I can't sleep I think of all the GOOD things in my life and try to ignore the rough times.  I'm lucky to be afflicted with an illness which goes into recession at some time or other.  I'm 76.  My brother died when he was 62, my sister was 65.  Enough said!

• Posted

Bless you Constance! 

You make me smile. smile 

yes, I'm definately counting my blessing and appreciating more things, simple things, but sometimes...guess we have to fret alittle too, perhaps it's eb and flow?

good suggestion though about NOT thinking how you can't sleep when you can't sleep! Love it! Thanks! 

• Posted

Hello Constance and Layne I empathise with you as I am having similar problems with sleeping.

I don't take anything for it.

Lucy

• Posted

Layne - first we are all different!  Generally it's reommended you have 8 hours, but lots of people thrive on less - it's usually the quality of sleep that is important (deep sleep).  If you are not getting it during the night then a decent nap, say in the afternoon (if possible) might help!

Margaret Thatcher, the first British Prime Minister, managed to lead a very active and hetic life on 4/5 hour every night! She was 87 when she died!

• Posted

I should have said the first woman PM!!
    • Posted

Yes. I held back from saying that because there seems to be a connection between lack of sleep and development of dementia but there are so many other factors that I am not going to lose sleep over that one!!
    • Posted

I remember lying awake at night as a very small child.  I remember looking out the window at the moon when I was three, it was one of my earliest memories.  But I do know that I benefit if I can have a down time in the early afternoon.  I think the siesta is a very wise tradition and I am going to try to work that into my, at the moment rather complicated, schedule!
    • Posted

I agree. I often fall asleep over the crossword.....literally. I do it on my iPad now as pen marks are difficult to remove from material. It's a dreich day here and I find it has a soporific effect. 
  • Posted

Layne,

I'm in the same boat.  I never sleep more than 2 hours at a time anymore and most of the reason is because of the pain that emerges while I'm laying down.  It's not severe pain, but enough to make me toss and turn.

I tried Tramadol for a while and that moderated it a bit but forget the side-effects!!  I'm not on that anymore.

I've spilt my dosage from takingh 8 mg in the AM, to taking 5 mg in the AM and then 3 before I go to bed.  That helped a little but not much.

My GP told me that sleep is essential, and would be willing to give a pill -- but I can't stand the thought of another pill.

Oh well.

• Posted

4 hours max since being on pred, regardless of how much I have or haven't done the day previous. Before pred? 6 to 8 hours with a pee break half way.
  • Posted

I can empathise but since reducing my steroids I am sleeping better. I reduced to 10mgs a few days ago and so far so good. I have the occasional night when I don't sleep well. I eventually get up and make a cup of chamomile tea. Sometimes I get back to sleep and when I can't I just get up again! I note that some of you are in pain which must be difficult and won't aid sleep. My pain usually settles once I get off to sleep and it is not what keeps me off my sleep. I have not drunk any caffeinated drinks since the middle of May. I feel this helps to an extent. Perhaps Eileen can suggest how the pain may be helped. A friend who is a medic suggested I try sleeping pills when it was at its worst but I want to be on the minimum of medication. I hope you find a solution because lack of sleep makes it even more difficult to function.

• Posted

I know it is hard for people who need to be alert at work or who have serious home responsibilities.  But in general I think we place too much emphasis on getting our 7 or 8 hours in one stretch.  In olden times people often had sleep in two sessions, a big sleep and a little sleep.  In between they would get up, maybe have a meal, study, have sex, whatever.  I read a passage in a book by Doris Lessing where she was in a country (middle east?) waking up in the night to a soft murmer in the courtyard outside.  It turned out to be all the older women gathering for a social time sans husbands and children!  As a lifelong intermittent insomniac I have just learned to go with the flow.  If I can't sleep, or stay asleep, I just get up and read, maybe have something to eat, generally stay off the internet or any other light-emitting medium (although I discovered Patient one sleepless night), maybe work on a crossword puzzle, and fall asleep in a chair for a few more hours.  I think that sleeping pills should be reserved for special cases, most of us should avoid the trap.
    • Posted

I felt the same way as you do about taking sleeping pills but I have high blood pressure and a bit of an issue with my heart and my doctor told me that lack of sleep is bad for your heart (backed up by medical evidence) so I take a sleeping pill occassionally if I haven't slept for a couple of nights.  

On sleepless nights I don't stay in bed because I get angry I can't sleep so I get up and read or play a mindless game for 2 or 3 hours. It is easier not working because if I go back to bed at 5:30 or 6:00 I often go into a deep sleep for a couple of hours.

It is important to get sleep however you have to do it😴😴😴😴

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.