Listen to your body

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm almost sorry I joined this site, as When I saw what other people were going through, I kept soldiering on even though I had 2 manipulations under general anaesthetic and was in a plaster cast for 3 weeks this time last year. At my annual review when I was offered another manipulation under GA and an injection into my now extremely painful hip I asked for a 2nd opinion. Net result I had a new TKR 7 weeks ago and it's a totally different experience - walking properly, no hip pain, no sciatica, sleeping well, the odd paracetamol, doing my exercises, etc. Unfortunately the damage done by the first op may mean my leg will never be straight again, but it's early days, so who knows.

So if you were fit and active before your op and you feel something is wrong, keep on pushing - don't just assume it's normal

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I agree Diana. I am only 12 days post-op for my revision TKR after last years flop. I've just got back from my 1st physio session. I am already at 80 degrees bend, with 0 straightening - & my staples are not even out yet! I KNEW something was wrong, but it took nearly 6 months to get my 2nd opinion, & a full year before the revision. However, I am now very, very hopeful - as you are!
  • Posted

Well said Diana. I think some people on these discussion sites don't actually realise that a TKR is a major operation more complex than a hip replacement. The leg is virtually severed the nerves at cut and the two main bones have their ends removed and two foreign objets are then hammered in to the repective bones. It is little wonder after all that the body feels a bit miffed at being so badly treated. But as you quite rightly say patience and exercises are important. If you feel tired have a nap, our bodies know best. I have an exercise bike which I have used to get my knee bend and also build up the muscles. I am week 9 post op and my knee is sore but the joint is not painful and moves smoothly. I understand the full healing time is about 12-18. months, so not long to go smile.
    • Posted

Hi

I certainly did not realise what a big op I was having and found this site wonderful. I suppose I had a 'normal' recovery and therefore was not misled by anyone just felt incredibly supported. Personally I coped much better hearing people like yourself explaining how major my op was and it was ok to struggle in those dark days 

• Posted

I didn't say I was misled, just assumed it was "normal" to still be suffering after a year from most of the people on here and wish I'd listened to my body sooner and not the medical 'expert'!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.