betahistine & stomach problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi!

Haven't yet been diagnosed with anything but am taking 2x 8mg betahistine three times a day for vertigo. I know that it can cause stomach complaints but wondered if this includes my symptoms : I've been on that amount for 10 days & the last few days have been experiencing slight cramping in the area under my left breast & around the side & back, feel constantly full of wind which seems to gather in the solar plexus, have been constipated last couple of days. Also get reflux after eating some days.

I also feel sometimes like I'm a bit out of breath. Only seems to be when I first start to get up & move after sitting, it kind of feels like the wind in my tummy shifts and makes me puff. Have the feeling my heart jumps too but that is usually followed with passing wind so considering I have had ecg's all normal & blood pressure & pulse rate is good, can only assume this is due to trapped wind.

Have a good appetite & diet is pretty good right now as have cut out a lot of things & drinking more water.

Has anyone any tips I can try to help? Don't want to cut down on the betahistine as, fingers crossed, seems to have helped with the dizzy spells.

Drinking boiled water, sometimes with ginger. Taking lactulose for the constipation. Heat pads for the cramping, & have tried massaging the area this morning with a detox oil.

Any help would be great =)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have given up the Betahistine I have been on that for 4 years and has not stopped my dizzy spells at all, i did get all the symptoms you have for the stomach.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm sorry they didn't work for you. At the moment for me they have stopped the really bad dizzys just the stomach issues are annoying.

Did you try anything for the stomach problems?

• Posted

Yes the doctor gave me some tablets, cannot remember what they are called. If the Betahistine are working for you then I would keep using them. I think they did make a difference in the beginning for me as the spells right in the beginning were awful and now they are still not great but they are bearable most days
  • Posted

You too! Hopefully there will some miracle cure in the not so distant future. This is something I did not realise so many people had until I came on here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.