BP pills for all

Posted , 5 users are following.

Brief extract from an Article in the Telegraph.

Up to half the adult population should be offered cheap blood pressure pills to cut the risk of heart attacks and strokes, an Oxford University study has concluded. Cardiologists called for an “urgent review” of NHS guidance, saying the widespread use of such drugs could save millions of lives.

Each 10mmHg drop in systolic pressure was found to reduce the risk of heart attack by one fifth, stroke by one quarter, and death from all causes by 13 per cent.

Researchers behind the Lancet study said pills should now be doled out to millions more middle-aged Britons, regardless of their current blood pressure levels.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Derek, I read a similar article in the Daily Mail.  I'm left wondering if the forum will be able to cope with all the extra people posting due to side effects from medication that they may not even need!  Unless, of course, there isn't anyone else who has such BP drug sensitivity problems as me - well my GP said she hasn't got anyone else like me!!

​I've been 'off air' for a while whilst switching to a different internet provider, but have just spotted your personal message a while ago, Derek.  I will get around to replying some time - life is very hectic at the moment one way or another!  Do have a very happy and peaceful Christmas.

​And a happy and peaceful Christmas to everyone else 'looking in', too.  I hope the New Year 2016 proves healthier for everyone. 

• Posted

Mrs O I too wonder how many others have side effects. I've tried so many different BP pills and so far it seems Losartan is the only one I can take without horrendous side effects. Swollen ankles, muscle and joint pain, kidney problems, incontinence. The list is endless. BP still too high on just Losartan but the side effects are just too bad on everything else. I've just come off doxazosin because it caused incontinence. Fed up! Seeing doc again on 20th January. I think she's running out of ideas!
    • Posted

Sally, Snap!  Losartan is the only GP pill so far out of about 8 that hasn't given me horrid side effects, including all those you have experienced and more.  But if fails to have any effect on my very high blood pressure so others have to be added.  Have just come off Bisoprolol after it further reduced my already low sole kidney function by another 9 points.  It has been replaced with Doxazosin, so another Snap!  After 3 weeks, the urgency when rushing to the loo during the night has eased off, although my ankles are now swelling.  The initial palpitations and pounding heart beat have also eased somewhat but I am still experiencing difficulty breathing when walking unless I walk very slowly (bit counterproductive for the blood pressure!).  It also seems to be causing some stiffness and discomfort in my legs.  However, at times during the day it does seem to be lowering my blood pressure - I've seen the low 150's diastolic for the first time in a few years.  So I'm trying to persevere with it.  However, apart from the side effects, whether I remain on it will all hinge on my kidney function blood tests next Tuesday.  My GP ran a couple of days ago and is definitely, like you're Dr, "out of ideas", preferring the renal consultant to deal with me.  As you can tell, I do so empathise with all that you are going through, Sally, even if it is some consolation that I am not the only one on the plant being such an unusual patient, according to my GP!  Best of luck to you with whatever you are prescribed in January. 
    • Posted

My previous doctor said that he only knew one other person who suffered more side effects than I did and that was Margaret.... his wife!

I changed ISP's and phone last month to Zen and it is flying.

Have a good Christmas..

• Posted

Thankyou Mrs O! I will let you know what else if anything they try on me. I'm beginning to think there's nothing else to be done. I'm trying to lose weight and in the new year going back to swimming keep fit classes. I have arthritis which makes walking difficult but can manage the aqua fit classes 😊 hoping that will help
    • Posted

I read once that swimming is a good way to lose weight and that you could lose 1lb a week. That would be a lot in a year.

My wife swims 80 to 100 lengths three times a week but she is gaining. She must be swallowing a lot of water!

• Posted

Lol! I think it does get more difficult to lose as we get older but the exercise is still a good idea methinks 😊
    • Posted

We could be twins, Sally!  I also have experienced as long-term rheumatic inflammatory condition and was on steroids for around 6 years.  Now many of the BP pills seem to return my legs to the same discomfort as I experienced then.  Perhaps if we have such other conditions in the background it could be making us more susceptible to side effects from the BP pills?  Good luck with the New Year resolution (I find the BP pills are making it impossible for me to lose weight, just putting it on - oh dear! )
    • Posted

We changed to BT - all seemed well until I tried to send emails yesterday.  They're all being returned saying the server isn't recognised.  BT had told us that I could still use my previous email addresses with the previous provider's name - I couldn't see how that was possible and now it seems it obviously isn't.  Will try and sort it out after Christmas - meanwhile off to stay with our son, his wife and our gorgeous 5-month old grandson...... lots of Christmas cuddles! Hapy Christmas.
  • Posted

Are Oxford University research department funded by the drugs companies??????
    • Posted

If you go to their website you can find list of providers . Research everywhere needs a lotta money.  They start by saying:

Much of academic research funding at Oxford comes from the following Research Councils, charities and the EC. These pages aim to provide you with our latest funder-related guidance, as well as information about electronic submission systems and processes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.