insanely worried about my first surgery :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm about to have my first surgery today, over here the time is 9:00am and I'm scheduled to under go op at 1pm and now I cant even calm down, i feel like throwing up, my heart is racing, i feel dizzy and I'm just so scared. I don't even know what I'm afraid of exactly. If it is the surgery or the anesthesia. I saw this movie last month AWAKE its about a guy who went to surgery and apparently the anesthesia didnt work on him and he felt every single thing! What if that happens to me too? Damn it. I'm only 20, never smoked and don't drink' please help me calm myself

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I've never had a surgery, but I think I will be in your shoes in a matter of weeks.

That's a scary premise for the movie Awake, but understand that isn't a norm.

Sadly, part of being human is that preoccupation of being the 1% that has the scary outcome. Or at least to me it is.

But gallbladder surgery rarely has issues from what I read. And won't you feel better?

My girlfriend had hers removed at 15. So strange.

You'll have versed professionals helping you I'm sure.

Just know that this too shall pass.

Breathe deeply and smile, worry is a debt that you can never pay.

• Posted

You sound like me 15 days ago : )  I was incredibly worried, especially about the anaesthetic, had a terrible premonition I wasn't going to wake up, which is weird because I'd done it before no problem. And (obviously!) everything turned out fine, which I'm sure it will for you too. I admitted my irrational fear to my surgeon, and her exact response was "That's just not going to happen." She gave me the stats, her complication rate, and it was like 0.02%. That really put me at ease. Also, if you haven't eaten since midnight last night, you probably are a little bit low blood sugar, which would contribute to the dizzy and anxiety. Five slow breaths in through the mouth, out through the nose, let your shoulders fall on the exhale.... It actually really helped me (both before and after). Information is also a great antidote to fear, so if you have any questions at all, I'm happy to help as best I can.
  • Posted

Lol, I got it backward, in through the nose out through the mouth. After the surgery the recovery nurse will be watching your oxygen rate, and might ask you to do this if your stats are wobbly.

• Posted

It is quite normal to feel anxious about having an operation especially with it being your first. I have had 5 operterations, the 1st time when I was 9 years old and am still here.

Hope everything goes well for you and you feel much better after the operation.

• Posted

hi there. i see your post was about 9 hours ago. so your op will be over and done with.so as soon as your able let us all know how you are because were with you all the way and are not waiting to see how you are after watching that terrible movie. 

what a shame im like that too and i'v not even seen the movie but i'v heard of stories where people say they were not asleep and can tell you what the sugeons are talking about. its very  scary to give your life over to another even a doctor and that is basically what we are doing. but its done ever day all over the world and people are ok. im the same when i go on a plane. i do hope it all went wel for you and look forward to hearing from you in a few days when you are fully awake and feeling better. god bless you dear. love cheeky.🙏

• Posted

Hope all went well for your surgery day. I also had surgery on this Mon., Dec 27th, 2015. I had same thoughts. I think its just the anxiety that goes with the worries. Its been a rough week for me. But, on day 4, I seemed to have turned the corner. Finally passed a BM, and gas. Man , I think that has made me the most uncomfortable the last few days. I still dont have alot of appetite. I eat some, but not my usual portion. I experience a little nausea after eating. But, from I hear. Its the digestion getting adjusted to working without a GB. So, far, even with the aches and pains of healing. I am glad I got it out. I dont have the sharp back pain, and rib pain I was experiencing before!   So, cheers to us, for a happy recovery!  
    • Posted

so glad for you elizbeth. i hope you continue with a great recovery thanks for telling us all how you feel as we (i) am next. love cheeky🌷🌺💐
  • Posted

Hopefully all is over by now and you have woken up in recovery.

Take it easy and keep in touch.

Praying for you

Sarah xxx

• Posted

I am thinking of you prinxess, I hope you are having a good surgery recovery, and are feeling better.  I hit the 1 week post surgery, Its been a rough week. Each day is getting better. I still have a tenderness and twinges on my right side, and when I lay flat it goes away. So, I am sure its the healing in the area where gb was.  Today, is the first day, that I really feel like I have some energy! It sure takes alot out of ya..  Hope to hear how you are doing!  
  • Posted

Stay calm lovely. I hope your okind. Please let me know how it goes ♡

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.