Laparotomy myomectomy experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an operation on 21 Nov 2015, this is to share my experience on those people who are nervous as I did before the surgery

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am here to share my own experience on my laparotomy (open) myomectomy surgery. I had postponed my surgery for around a year mainly due to fear. And for those who are going for this procedure, i was really scared and it was the most difficult time of my life. The closer i got to the date, i was very nervous, couldnt concentrate, my mind was constantly on it and not to mention termendous amount of googling I have done to read other people's experiences on it.

I was still working until the last day prior to surgery. I think around 2 weeks prior to the surgery, all the fear and nervousness got escalated. At that time, I couldnt imagine how nervous I would be the night before the surgery. I have a good support from people who care and prays for me..

Amazingly.. Last day at work, the night before the surgery I felt less scared and nervous. I had my pre ops check done 2 days prior. As perscribed I took 2 baths, one at night and in the morning before going to hospital. My surgery was at 7.30am thus has to checked myself in the hospital around 2 hours before. I have opted for spinal anaesthesia with sedation as I was too scared to take GA. I didnt regret the decision at all..

They asked me to change to gown and i was waiting until the staff came and took me on the rolling bed to the ops theatre.

They parked me at the recovery area, where i met my anaesthesiologist and then move me to the ops theatre which wasnt too far away. It was quite cold in there. Then moved me to a small hard table, I saw my doctor and remember greeting him.

My anaesthesiologist warn me about the needle going in for the sedation and after that she said the next one I wont be able to see as it ll be At the back. I told her am scared so I want to know everything.. First injection at the back was for numbing the area before the longer needle went in for the spinal.

She asked if i felt anything and i said i think a little something but after that i fell asleep. I got up around 1.5 hours later still in the same spot..

I was fully alert by then.

Everything was done and they whell me to recovery area. I waited there for i think 15 mins, then they wheel me out of the operating theatre back to my room, i got back at around 9.40am.

At around 11am i felt hungry, they allow me to drink water by midday and by late noon i can drink other liquid. By dinner time I was already eating some porridge. I was still on drip, however not long after the surgery i can already feel my left leg movement.

I was very grateful that i didnt feel any pain. They gave me panadol, another pain killer thats stronger and another one thats even more strong.

At around 8 pm i felt abit of pain - as i read from the googling, i told the nurse i want the strogest pain killer (i managed with the first 2) as i start to feel pain. So i wanna manage it in time. I didnt feel anymore after that. Actually i probably dont need that strongest painkiller.

The only time i feel pain was around 2-3am where i took sip of water by straw for my meds and i chocked. So I had to cough. I coughed twice and the second one was super painful it took a while for it to go away so i dare not to cough anymore.

But thats about it!

The next day i felt terrible which i think because i had low blood pressure or effect of the strongest pain killer so i was dizzy and nauseous. I only managed to try to stand up at night when i felt better because i was scared i will faint. This was also create another worry as most people said its very painful to stand up first time.

The nurse told me to roll over to my side, moving your shoulder and hip (whole body) together helps. Use your elbow on the side and your other arm to push you away to sitting position helps.

Going from sitting to standing position is the painful part - based on what i know. So i hightened the bed and then try to tighten my legs and focus all my weight on it to get up. I didnt feel any pain!! I walk 1-2 steps and sat back down as i felt dizzy.

My stay at the hospital was extended for another night to the next day as i only got down from bed at night. Once i overcame the first standing up i felt more confident. The next day i can get up and walked to the toilet etc.

I do believe that exercising prior to ops helped alot.. Also going on a diet as the more fat you have will put more pressure on the wound, thats the theory i believe.

After i was discharged I had like a UTI but it was only an inflammation not infection. The first few days home i felt bloated but i can go out for short walk.

I was operated on saturday morning, by tuesday 1.5 weeks later i can already fly home.

Covering or putting pressure or using abdominal binder helps to minimise discomfort when youre walking or getting up or coughing or sneezing.

I can say i was quite ok by the time i left the hospital and within a week i am way better already.

Therefore i want to share my experience that it was not as scary as i thought. The thoughest part for me is to be brave and calm myself to go for the surgery...

• Posted

Thanks Michelle for sharing your experience, I am having open myomectomy soon and like you had postponed a previous one due to fear. I have a good consultant and have read up about the procedure and am preparing myself physically with good diet and exercise and am confident all will go well, its very useful to hear your experience as you seem to have recovered very quickly and are even able to travel. All the best.
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing . Now I wish I had shared mine it could have helped someone out there but it didn't occur to me . I had the same procedure had 3 fibroids and they were all taken out the biggest was 10cm. My surgery lasted for 4hours ( yea quite long ) . I recovered very fast spent 2 night in the hospital , used no pain killer after I got back to the ward and throughout the healing process . I emptied my bowel on the first day it was very difficult but I was given a med to go . I ate on the first day and started walking the next day . I did a 15 walk the 7th day and I was shopping on day 10. The only thing I felt unusual was lightheaded I felt like my head was constantly being pushed . I am back to work and normal activities and I feel great in my body with lots of complement . My period came back 2 weeks after and I have done 2 cycles and ovulated 2 times . My first cycle was very light and for 2 days but my second has been very heavy fingers crossed . I am now eating healthy and lots of excercise .I will be happy to answer anymore questions
    • Posted

Thanks Esther your experience is very encouraging, your recovered very quickly and didnt have to rely on too many painkillers. It makes me feel more confident about my surgery and recovery. Did you have General Anaesthetic or did you have an Epidural and Sedation?  All the very best.
  • Posted

Happy new year Michelle,thx for sharing, quick complete recovery n God renew your strength.

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.