Morton Neuroma Surgery - More pain than ever post op.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone. Glad I found this discussion / forum. My name is Deborah. I'm 48 years old and live in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I had Morton Neuroma Surgery in my left foot in March 2014 at the Freeman Hospital here. Nearly two years later I am in more pain than than ever, and the worst type of pain. It now goes from my foot, up my leg into my bottox. Back and forth to see the consultant and surgeon various times, been fobbed off with pain relief tablets. I am now seeing a higher consultant / surgeon called Siddque for a second opinion on Monday (01/02/2016). Surgery was through top of my left foot. Had a cortisol injection few month later which seems to have made things worse, the feeling up my leg and bottox is like sciatica. Profession is mobile hairdressing so standing a lot and have been for many years, constant pain. Dragging me down. Very grumpy as not used to not being as active, no quality of life. Lying on bed most nights to get weight off and foot up. I am 7 stone so not like weight is an issue and always been a very active person which makes me more frustrated. Majority of my life is spent on my bed, not what a 48 year old should be wasting my life doing. Tried all medication and pain relief but did not agree with me and affected other issues like constipation. The whole predicament is making me depressed and highly frustrated. Should NEVER have had it done! Hope to hear from some of you soon and hope I eventually found a solution.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear this. Hope you get something sorted soon. I no it must be making your life a misery. I too have mn in both feet n also plantar fasitis in my heels which i can cope with. The mn has been chronic . I had surgery on my left foot in dec and am having my right foot done on wed this week. I still have pain in my operated foot but not as bad as before . Dont no if i ll always have pain but some people on this forum say you can have pain for a while after so i m hopeful. I m thinking about acupuncture if it doesnt work as i had it for something else years ago and it worked for me. I think you get to a stage where you ll try anything for the pain. I really hope you find some kind of relief as i no only too well what you must be going through. Good luck and all the best
  • Posted

hi deborah , i  allthough newly diagnosed and no treatment as such smile i found i was so bad tempered due to lac of sleep with the pain in fact i was horrible to be around i was getting so low in my own mental wellbeing living with apin and unable to do things that was easy to do with out pain and becoming vertiually house bound  i went back to gp and they have given me anit-depressants that are also pain killer to take at night .i take low dose as i am a carer and have to be some what able to get up if needed in night i have been prescribed AMITRIPTYLINE , all i can say is i sleep much better and my mood has some what lifted ,, maybe worth asking your gp about ,  

pain still there but more sleep and less crying out in pain , reading all my responses it frightens me a bit as my life is so limited at moment out side home and inside too , but it also has given me some starting points to arm my self with when i see gp and i now know what kind of things i need to surgest or request when i see them i am not going to be fobbed off i will say i need treatmnet of some kind ,right now if im honest i wish they would just give me opperation as i feel maybe then id have a recivery time and see a end in sight to pain , but then i read of others who continue to suffer , i miss taking my 2 year old grandson to the park and the music club and i miss shopping and beable to get up stairs and carry somethinking at same time and when i do go out iuse walking stick and can not mange far and am so slow even very ederly people with sticks seem fast in compaseison and and often give me that knowing look  like you will get used to it sad

• Posted

hi i had the op in december in both feet going in at the top of my feet i am in more pain than ever pain like i cannot describe and nothing is shiftng it i have been put on 8 30//500 mg co codomol a day and now they have put me on a nerve tablet of 900mg a day ibruprofen gel to put on my like you say i am more in bed than out of bed i thought i was in pain before and they used to give me cortisone injections which did work for a few months but then it would come back so after several of them they said that they cant do them anymore as it makes the pads under your feet go very thin when i went back to see the consultant she said that she thought i had matatarsalgia of which there is no cure only getting the pain relief right i went again last week and now she has referred me for a scan saying she is not sure if the neuromas have come back i am so sorry i had this operation done and like you i am slim she said it is harder cos i have no flesh on my feet so i could be walking on my matatarsals
    • Posted

I have m.n in my right foot too never had op tho...I don't get much pain at all just now then under my right foot it crunches,burns like electric shocks but no where near like what I have ended up with in left foot but it more on top now...!!! Good job so done invented chocolate!!
    • Posted

Hopefully it wont get worse. But mine started off 3 yeas ago and i could cope with it at first with orthotics . As time went on it just got worse till 3 years on and i couldnt stand the pain i was in so i had the op in both feet . Even after all the negative comments about the op i d still choose that option because none of the other treatments helped me. I still have quite a bit of pain but but i no it can take time for it to be successful so i m optimistic so as i said i d choose the op every time . Theres no way i could carry on with the previous pain i had. Hopefully yourscwont get any worse. Good luck
    • Posted

thank you debbie but my pain is worse than it was before the operation asn i just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this but thanks for your comment
    • Posted

Its good to get other peoples experiencs of this. Just hope my pain doesnt get worse. An i hope u find psin relief

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.