Are any of these symptoms related to Sjogrens?

Posted , 5 users are following.

-Eyelid twitching

-Smell/odor/chemical sensitivity

-Complete alcohol intolerance, like one sip will make you feel hung over

-Skin conditions (particularly plantar warts that won't go away with any treatment, and that are spreading)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Don't know about the rest but I do have periods of twitching eyelids (technically known as blepharospasm). It can get quite embarrassing on occasion, with one eye closing completely for several seconds. Especially on public transport, as it looks as if I'm winking suggestively at people! I've had fasciculation - prolonged twitching in minor muscles just under the skin - all over my body for as long as I can remember, but it does seem to me that the blepharospasm only really started after I developed SS symptoms around age 50. And now I come to think of it, it happens more during periods of severe dry eyes.

I don't get warts, just endless attacks of candida on my skin, like a lot of Sjogren's sufferers.

I fear my capacity for alcohol verges on the infinite!redface

• Posted

I cant handle alcohol, not that it knocks me that hard at the time, but even after two glasses of I will feel like I partied a whole weekend and everything hurts for days! I used to party a lot and hard, but cant anymore.

def skin conditions too, especially hands and feet.

• Posted

Yes to the eyelid but that is common in everyone and sometimes takes weeks to go away. Yes to sensitivity. Yes to alcohol intolerance--I have no desire to drink alcohol. In regard to warts, no, but the best treatment is this. When you take a shower, collect the water in the tub so you are standing in water during the shower. Over time the hot water will help kill the virus that causes them. Also, soak your feet and add just a litte tea tree oil to the water if they have not gone away. Also, alway see your dermotoligist just so they can evalute you and make sure you are doing every correctly to get better. Peace!
  • Posted

Whether due to SS or not the cause of blepharatis seems to be thickening of the oil in eye glands. The best advice I had after cataract surgery, was to use a warm eye bag. This is a cloth bag filled with flax which is warmed in the microwave then placed over the eyes for 10 minutes. After that massaging the eye lids helps to encourage the oil to flow more freely, releasing the oil in to the eyes and lessening pressure on the lids. The bags a readily available on line if not in the local pharmacy.
    • Posted

That's true, but blepharospasm (twitching of the eyelid) isn't necessarily connected with belpharitis (inflammation of the eyelid). Not in my case anyway. It's more a peripheral nerve problem.

That eye bag sounds as if it might be a good idea for dry eyes though. At one point, when I was going through a particularly bad patch with dry eyes, my opthalmologist suggested hot-water compresses every morning, but that just made the skin around my eyes sore and red without producing any improvement. Sounds as if the warm flax bag might be gentler on the skin.

• Posted

The best thing, I've noticed. is to put moisture on the tissue surrounding your eyes. Coconut oil or shea butter are not toxic. Aquaphor is especially good but not totally natural. Dermotologist use it to repair tissue damage and after plastic surgery for improving healthy healing. I put some on this morning and my eyes have felt perfect all day--the first time I have ever tried it. I think it is because it is sometimes just the dry tissue around your eyes that you feel the dryness, tightness and pulling that is difficult. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.