I have both plantar fascists and morton's neuroma

Posted , 4 users are following.

It first started out with PF in both feet. Now, I have MN in my right foot and feels like it's developing in my left foot. Primary physician diagnosed the MN. A podiatrist confirmed the PF and told me to buy inserts and do stretches. Inserts helped about 6 months only and that's when the MN developed. What exercises will help both? I used to walk barefoot most of the time. I also would wear heels a few times a week. Now, sneakers and steel toed boots when needed. What shoes helped you? Are there any shoes that I can wear with a dress that look better than wearing sneakers with a dress?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I do feel for you...I suffer from the same...or so my consultant thinks.  Not convinced of the m-n as doing my stretching exercises seem to make it flare up.  Seeing consultant again on Monday.

I have been to physio for mine but what helped most personally was personal orthotic soles made for me from the hospital..although my plantar - f is in my instep as I have high insteps and over pronate due to over flexible joints (and no, this doesn't make me good at yoga..unfortunaely!)  if you google you will find the exercises..stretching ones and standing on a step and lowering and raising foot. Also my physio told me to strengthen my core and to be aware of how I was standing (so not to put unecassary stress on my foot) and to practise balancing on one foot.

I have had steroid cortisone injections for m-n (two earlier this year) which did help although v painful at first and though had made worse but had got to point where could barely walk.  However, I am looking at other methods/treatments as there are only so many you can have and for me they don't last a long time.  My sister has just had a pioneering treatment to do with injecting cells into her foot but she is acting as g-pig and so far has been v painful (after spending 6 weeks on crutches, non weight bearing initially)  Will post if it works when we know.

Any input on treatments etc gladly listened to!

• Posted

I have both in both feet. Pf started about 11 years ago. . Since then i ve had numerous insoles but the only thing that work for me is cortisone injections into my heels exactly where the pain is, but it still comes back. I m afraid i just havecto live with it. Cushioning helps a lot. I ve had mn for about 3 years in both feet . I ve had again lots of different orthotics, then alcohol injections but they had no effect whatsoever. Now i ve had surgery for the mn on both feet . Left one in dec and right in feb. The surgery was fine went in hospital at 7am and home by about 2 pm. Without any side effects. Its now been 3 months since first op and even tjough its better than before i m still getting quite a bit of pain. The right one seems a lot better than the left one but its early days. I ve been told i can still have pain up to a year after. I still glad i chose the op as the pain was chronic . I also have an electric foot massager which i use every day. It does help if my feet are really painful. I still use crutches if i go out but only because they re suppprtive with having both feet operated on. Hope you find the right treatment for yourself , but dont leave it too long as it just gets worse over time. So good luck
  • Posted

Hi! I've had MN for over 20 years and have lived with it until now. I've had cortisone injections but that didn't give long lasting relief and the pain of having them outweighed the benefit of 2-3 weeks pain free. In the summer I live in fit flops as they help my plantar facilitis too so I'm going to have a look at their shoes. Im awaiting an ultrasound then will have to decide whether I have surgery sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.