Gallbladder removal??

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am on the waiting list for gallbladder removal as mine is 'full of stones'. Surgeon has told me that removal may not be the answer to my problems as I also have high liver function (10 times higher than normal) although my latest bloods came back normal. My attacks are about as bad as they can get but I don't have them that often. It can be once a week, once a month or like now I haven't had one since Xmas. After reading how badly so many people have suffered after removal, I am now unsure whether to go ahead as my pain is not so frequent that it affects my day to day life although it's awful when I do get it. I don't want to end up with problems that are worse or more frequent than what I am dealing with now. What would your advice be? My onlyworry would be what could happen with my gallbladder being so full?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I got the stone stuck in my bile duct and the pain was unbelievably terrible with jaundice. Had to have it removed followed by gallbladder removal few months later. If you get a stone stuck you will regret not having it done. You only get ppl writing in forums the bad problems about after the operation. Because they want to talk to ppl to help them through it. There is no need for ppl to write that they are OK after removal. Don't regret it and go through what I did. I couldn't prevent it getting stuck in the bile because I hadn't been diagnosed at the time. Good luck x
    • Posted

Thank you, of course you are right, you never hear the positive stories and assume all is doom and gloom. Hope you are ok now x
  • Posted

It is scary looking at going for surgery that may not help or even cause more problems. I am in a similar situation as got stones which they THINK are the cause of multiple digestive problems but cannto be sure as I also have hiatal hernia and diverticula, maybe IBS. As the gallbladder is the one most accessible to surgery I think they go for that as the easy option and hope for the best. After all, if it is full of stones, it is not healthy, it can cause complications and cannot be doing its job anyway, the bile has nowhere to store, so it is almost as if you have not got it already. Despite all this I am averse to surgery, but cannot go on having the problems I have as I cannot even eat properly and always feel unwell. I have tried a lot of remedies and diet changes to no avail.

In your case, it is possible that the blocked gallbladder may be causing some of yr liver issues as my liver enzymes are a bit raised - although this can be due to medicines / infections etc. And your Dr would know this.

It is a personal decision only you can make in the end, but wish the very best.

• Posted

My doctor rang me one evening, before I had my gb removed, and told me "to cut down my alcohol, especially in the evening".    I told her that I didn't drink at all, and then she told me that it was most probably due to my defective gall bladder and that I had to cut out every scrap of fat, including yoghurts.   I did as she said and my next bloods came back normal.   So, my advice is stay away from fatty foods.   Initially my pains weren't that bad, in fact I didn't even know I had gallstones, but after about 3 years the attacks were more frequent and much more severe.  Of course, being initially in ignorance as to what was causing the problem, I wasn't eating appropriately - it really helps to stick to a fat free diet.  Wishing you well.
    • Posted

I followed a fat free diet for 6 weeks (it was all I could manage) and that's when my liver function returned to normal, so I know that helps. Thanks for the advice x
  • Posted

everything is if and buts and no one can know for sure how things will turn out for you. if i was you i would put my name on the waiting list now and wait and see how things go as its a long waiting list and things could progress in that time but at least you will be on the list.and make up your mind while you are waiting. good luck dont let fear make your decision for you. let your pain make the descision.
  • Posted

I never had symptoms from diseased gallbladder, I had nausea, no appetite, weight loss, and severe chest pains. Went to hospital and they discovered the gallstones through ultrasound. My surgeon also told me removing my gallbladder might not cure all my symptoms, and he was right. I am over 3 weeks post surgery, and am getting better every day. My liver enzymes are raised too, but they are slowly coming down. I'm hoping in the long run I will be better off, and know I made the right decision. Just the thought of having attacks down the road, or stones clogging ducts, was enough for me to decide to have the operation. Good luck to you, whatever you decide. I was hesitant too, but feel I did the right thing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.