New to Fluoxetine need some help ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 41 year old male , single father and small business owner , I have had anxiety/depression/panic attacks on and off for years but until October of last year nothing severe for last 3 years. I have always taken xanex to get through it but it has never lasted this long , finally went to see a psychologist about a month ago because I just could not cope and function anymore. He said I have text book anxiety/depression/panic attacks and agoraphobia. He gave me 20mg Fluoxetine, ,25 mg xanex and 20mg proprananol . I am on week 3 of the Fluoxetine and all my symptoms have gotten worse , I take small amounts of the xanex and proprananol through the day to help but to much makes me feel all drugged out. Everything I have read is that I just have to give the Fluoxetine time to work . Will I be able to stop taking the xanex and proprananol once it does? I have been taking .5mg of xanex daily for about 3 months now and I started taking .25 mg xanex daily about 3 weeks ago .Am I having withdrawals because my symptoms have gotten worse even though it is a low dose ? Or is it just everything I am reading it just gets worse before it gets better ? Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Mike 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was terrible for the first 4 weeks but after that improved a lot. Stay with it
  • Posted

Prozac or Fluoxetin has a half life of 16 days. That's why it's one of the ones that take very long to get to therapeutic levels. Im talkin months. Like 2 or 3. Its a long acting drug. Zoloft is short acting so it has quicker results but getting off a short acting one is hard. Long acting is easier on your body. So it will take a while to get to feeling better. It does jncrease your symptoms. It did mine. Crying more, anxiety more, but I quit it because it made me very sick physically. Toxic like. Goodluck!
  • Posted

It gets worse before it gets better. I'm on 5 weeks and still take Ativan for panic/anxiety attacks when I feel like I need it. I'm told that eventually I won't need it at all but we'll see. Never miss a dose, make sure you have some food with it, that seemed to help me. Exercise about 30 minutes a day and drink lots of water. Good thoughts headed your way for success!
  • Posted

I took anti depressants for years which did nothing to help ..... until I started SSRI's, and then I recovered within 6 months and have been well ever since.

The fluoxetine will help you get recover.  It's really good but is tough to take, especially at the start.  Your symptoms will get worse before they get better, which is what you're feeling at the moment.  Each dose increase will also make the symptoms a little worse each time.  This will settle down in time, and you'll begin to feel so much better.

I don't know about Xanax or taking other meds with Fluoxetine, but in time the fluoxetine should be enough on its own.

Give yourself lots of time.  Go slowly and don't be in a rush to increase meds.  They take a long, long time and you won't feel any improvement for weeks, if not months.  Don't worry, they will be working, it just takes time.

K x

• Posted

I had to stop taking the propanolol, with my fluoxetine . As was making me feel worse. I have been on fluoxetine for 6 weeks now. My panic attacks have gone , but they say you have to wait at least 3 months for them to kick in. I still feel worse in the morning gs , and sick also .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.