Gall stones

Posted , 8 users are following.

Any else got gall stones can you tell me what painkillers are best to take and if they work when you have an attack thanks

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tasha,

I had codeine tablets. When I had bad attacks I did have a course of antibiotics from my Dr. He also prescribed buscupan tablets which I had 4 times a day which I took all the time. 

• Posted

Hi tasha

I'm currently suffering from gallstones and on the list awaiting a removal.

Pain killers do vary depending on your symptoms and the severity of the attack. I have been prescribed various different pain killers by my gp including co-codaml, dihydrocedine and tramadol. The general rule of thumb is that if OTC or prescribed painkillers don't work then you need to get yourself off to A&E for stronger painkillers, I have had three severe attacks that have led to this and been administered morphine, although in a severe attack I don't find that helps much and I just have to wait for the attack to ease.

Has your doctor suggested any pain relief? If you drive please be mindful about what you take as I know I can't drive with some of the stringer ones, also stick to a low fat diet, it really does help with symptoms.

How long have you been diagnosed? x

• Posted

Hi tasha. During the gall bladder attacks I have experienced I have found that either panadeine forte, endone or oxycontin works very well although knocks you out. When I was admitted to hospital I was given morphine however I found that thia did not last that long.. I have found that Endone works best for me and works immediately.Saying that however it all depends on the severity of the attack, your level of pain tolerance and if you have any reaction to the medications as well as how your body reacts.. Really feel for you. The attacks are shocking. Wish you all the best.
  • Posted

Hi Tasha,

I take asda migraine relief tablets they act fast and are very good. I also eat an apple as I finds this helps with the pain a lot. A hot water bottle alos works wonders.

• Posted

Generally I found codydramol, oromorph, codine phosphate and paracetamol helped together with buscapan .

i found tramadol not that helpful .

when it was really bad I needed IV morphine and IV paracetomol at the same time ,these were the only things that touched it . This was obviously done in hospital . 

• Posted

Hi thanks all yes i had scan last week confirming it was gall stones. I been to a and e 3 times in 3 months and bk and forth the doctors. Doc give me tramadol 2 takes 4 times aday with paracetamol seems to be working at the moment. I have stopped all fatty food and dont eat alot and lost half a stone already. Any one know how long it takes 2 see the surgeon 2 have it removed the sooner the bettet 4 me hasvi have 6 kids thanks. Im from south wales
    • Posted

Hi Tasha

I saw my surgeon pretty quickly, 2 weeks after my scan, he then advised that it would be a 4 to 5 month wait for surgery, and that is with me being treated as a day case, in patient would be 8 to 9 months. I'm in the west Midlands and I know that waiting times can vary greatly in different regions. You can research your local hospitals average waiting time for surgery as the NHS does publish these. Hope you don't have to wait too long and let us know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi tasha I really hope you find something that works. I have been in extreme pain on and off for 5 weeks now. I had an ultrasound which showed no stones but an enlarged bile duct (possibly a stone stuck in there) but the Dr's up at the hospital are adamant it's not and more of an infection in my digestive system. I've never been given anything stronger the 30/500mg cocodamol and these do not touch the pain at all but no body seems to listen. I have a high pain thresh hold (9lb 4oz baby with no pain relief and I'm only 8st myself) and I would rather do that 10 times over then have this pain. I was up at the surgical assessment unit yesterday fighting for a diagnosis to be told my bloods show an infection but they're not going to give me antibiotics because they don't know what it is and tried just giving me codine and paracetamol to manage the pain after being told they could give me morphine through a drip but I'd have to spend the night in a chair. I literally told her to shove it when the sun doesn't shine and went home. I'm now at home waiting for the endoscopy appointment in agony, with an infection, barely eating, barely sleeping and struggling to do simple tasks bearing in mind I could be waiting a further 3 weeks before the appointment comes through. Make sure they listen to you and get you sorted. After 2 a&e visits, 2 visits to the surgical assessment unit, 5 docs appointments and 2 out of hrs docs in 5 weeks I'm exhausted trying to get anywhere with them. I've taken the cocodamol buscapan and omeprazole and nothing has changed. I cut out the suggested foods but have no desire to eat so I basically dont. Don't let them make you feel like I do right now get on top of the pain and quick x
  • Posted

Omg you been through alot hope they find whats wrong soon i had the scan and camera in bladder last week im waiting for a ct scan now and 2 see surgeon so hope i dont have 2 wait long xx
  • Posted

I've been on Buscopan for the past six months while I wait for surgery, which is next month. I've found that it does help and has very few side effects. A very low fat diet helps as well. I'm on less than 3% fat.
    • Posted

It's supposed to help relax your "insides" to lessen the pain and contractions that cause the attacks hun x
    • Posted

Can you buy it over the counter or has a doctor got to prescribe it x
    • Posted

Does any 1 know if i can take buscopan and tramadol together x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.