Revision knee replacement

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

I'm coming up to 11 months post op now from my revision and if I'm 

being honest I wish I didn't have it done the pain and swelling is just as bad,but now I also get pain in my calve and ankle.

I am having to still take painkillers up to 4 times a day.

life for me at the moment is hard I still use a crutch and sometimes

2. I feel as tho I am no better off and my right knee that has a knee replacement is starting to cause pain which scares me because i

could not go through a revision again.

is anyone else having problems like me? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you having this..what does the surgeon say?
    • Posted

Hi, I haven't seen the surgeon lately but due to in a few weeks. I last went when I was about 3 months post op and they just said more Physio. The after care has been very bad this time round.
  • Posted

Hi,Diane. I too had a revision in Dec '15 ( first TKR Dec 13 done badly by the surgeon) and the surgeon who did the revision did warn me I may not have an improvement. I feel that it won't ever get any better and am being retired early because I can't do my job which is very physical. I still take regular co-codamol and naproxen like you and the Physio has discharged me because there is nothing more they can do. My other knee is starting to cause pain and the thought of another op scares the life out of me! I am only 60yrs old. So sorry that you are experiencing the same thing and can only offer a big hug over the airwaves!
    • Posted

Hi Nicky,

Thank you for your reply. I'm really sorry that you are no better off too. I had my first TKR done in 2002 and it look 13 years for them to give me the revision which has made the pain worse I take codiene up to 4 times a day I feel very down as I'm 44 but have legs so much older. I can't do much with my kids which is upsetting as my youngest is 6. Do you get pain in your calve and knee ? I can only describe the pain as sharp and very hot and heavy. My other knee was replaced about 3 years ago and was so much better but lately it's starting to crunch and cause pain. What kind of pain do you get ? Are both your knees replaced? Sorry for all the questions.

Diane

• Posted

Gosh,you are very young to be experiencing such problems.😔 I have calf pain,like the pain after cramp,also what I assume to be ligament pain around the prosthesis when walking and moving. Sometimes it feels like pain in the bone where I think the end of the rods are.My right knee is still my own!
    • Posted

I can totally relate to that pain.

I hope things get easier for you.

Take care

• Posted

oh Diane i feel for you as ive had a revision a yr and nine mths ago .its a very hard road to go down .i too have still pain but not as much as i had before the revision how is your bend and extension ?? my bend is less than 100  now before the revision it was only 70 so that improved but my extension is not fully right and the leg is slightly bent which is causing me pain as it wont straighten fully the annoying thing is it was straight before the revision .!!! what i found after the revision it was soooo hard to gain strenght in the leg it was sooo weak muscles were asleep it took me along time to build up some muscle in it .what is probably happening to your other knee is its doing all the work because of the pain in the revision knee so your leaning on the other leg more  i honestly think that it takes a year for the primary tkr to improve but for a revision it takes alot longer .mine is still swollen and i think it will always be like that .the worst part of the whole thing is accepting that its not getting any better .!! so i know how depressing that is .i take anti inflamatory most of the time but pain meds ive reduced and only take them only when i have to .so hang in there Diane keep up excersises to build up muscle  it makes a big difference it will make the leg more stable .i wish that i had one day without thinking about this knee so i know how it is for you x
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

Sorry you are still in pain it's a nightmare. My bend is over 100 and extension is good. I also exercise but I end up with both my legs in agony and back on 2 crutches for a while.

I am allergic to anti inflammatory tablets which is hard to helping the swelling. I wish too that I could wake up one day with no pain.

Hope things get easier for you

Take care

• Posted

Hi there Diane, Im not in the same situation as you, but i can see where youre coming from .....im 49, had 2 TKR's in the past 14 months, and Im pretty sure that the first one is failing.....got an appointment with my Surgeon on July4th, at which point we'll also discuss the surgical removal of a cyst which has appeared on my Tibial/Patellar ligament.....Ive had to go back to using a crutch, and the amount of painkillers Im taking just to get through the days is ridiculous......I also feel that Im no better off than before the surgery....had a bit of a breakdown in front of Hubby this mornng, saying I cant cope with this pain - but what option do we have?? We suck it up and get on with it I suppose, but its so hard....xx
    • Posted

Hi terri,

I know how you are feeling. Have you had both knees done ? It's a real tough time I have an amazing husband who is so supportive but like he says he has no idea what I'm going through so it really helps talking to people who are in similar situations. I hope things improve for you keep us posted on what you're surgeon says . Take care

• Posted

Can you you go sideways with your meds and take a capsule, If I said the name this tread wont go through.  I used to be on codeine, the more you take the more spaced out you become.  These capsules come in 30mg (pink & white) and 10mg (yellow and white).  They are time released so are better for you (take them in the morning and at night), then you can top up with the oramorph as or when needed, whilst you may not be able to roll around on the floor with the kids, you might get a better quality of life.  What does your doctor say? Mine will always put family and quality high on the list of priorities and to date she has never let me down. Instead of a crutch (when you are home/garden, can you wear a long brace. They are rather old fashioned as they are so long, but it does give you a tremendous amout on freedom, to the point you don't want to take it off (after you have gotten use to walking round like Long John Silver).  It is a stopgap, but until either you get the pain under control or you find out what is causing the pain, every little bit of relief helps.

The pain in your calves and ankles could be due to the way you walk.  How are you doing with muscle strengthening?

Can you get to a pool, this way the kids can have fun, you can join in, plus you will be able to do exercises you never thought possible. It will certainy kick start your endorphins if nothing else, if there is a steam room or sauna; even better, heat helps.

Also with the little ones, I used to get mine to help me around the house, act as a crutch when out walking in the neighbourhood etc. Play on their sympathies, get them to massage your legs (if your skin is not too painful), their little fingers can ease away like nothing on earth. Pull you up from chairs and sofas when you get stuck, the list is endless and no bribery needed

I know all this is no consolation, but I hope it of some help

• Posted

I second that Sueisobel - I take 2 of the yellow and white capsules in the morning and another 2 at night (and top up with oramorph when needed) and Im finding they help greatly ;-) For heavy duty pain relief without excessive drowsiness theyre the bees knees (no pun intended ;-))
    • Posted

I am so with you on that, I take the pink as well, but in the evening have dropped down to one pink and one yellow, was a bit mentally painful for a while, now if the pain gets too much I just go to bed, but at least we can fully function.

Wishing you well

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks it's nice to hear from other people's experiences 

my muscle strength is good. Seeing my doctor in a few weeks.

take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.