Real time recording of codeine in Australia

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a long time codeine addict, and due to real time recording of codeine have been refused sale of codeine. I understand the reason that the Pharmacy Guild have put it in place, but is that where it ends? Just refuse selling it to people? I feel like they have not thought things through in bringing in these new regulations. They obviously know there are addicts, but have they thought past the notion of just cutting them off? Are there any safeguards in place for those of us who are heavily addicted and have been so for many years now. I read stories of people who then approach their GP, and are told the only option is go cold turkey. I'm really struggling and would like to hear how others are coping with these new changes. 

1 like, 268 replies

268 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to check in and see how you're all doing. I'm doing well.

Remember to stay in touch, even if it's just to rant and get stuff off your chest.

Wilro

• Posted

Hi Wilro

Glad to hear you're doing well. I thought I'd answered the other day but obviously forgot. The sudafed did help, I'm still a little unwell but much better.

I've had more panadeine sad I bought a packet of standard panadeine and attempted taking only 2-3 at a time, had about 8 a day for a week. I've since got another packet of panadeine extra, I had 2 Saturday afternoon, had 7 yesterday, 2 at a time x2 doses and 1 dose of 3 tablets.

I've had one tablet only this morning - not that any of these low doses do anything but take the edge off the headache.

I'm trying to not have any more today, putting myself in to a competitive mindset, I have 30 tablets left and I'd like to not touch them. I'm going to get some standard ibuprofen today to try and 1. Help the headaches and 2. Slow down on the high doses of paracetamol. I'll probably alternate standard paracetamol and ibuprofen for the headache, sticking to a normal dose when I absolutely have to. Also trying to increase my water intake also to help with the headaches.

Still trying to get the courage to go speak with my doctor and get some referrals happening to a psych, need to deal with these underlying issues, it just seems such a mammoth task.

Hope everyone else is doing ok x

• Posted

Hi Becky07,

I really think you need a few days break from paracetamol at this point just to be safe. Souds like you've been hitting the upper safe limits for over a week.

One thing to remember about paracetamol is that the safe dose range is 8 tablets every 24 hours which is a bit different to 8 tablets every day as that can still result in going over the limit in the 24 hour period.

As far as building up the courage to speak to a doctor, most doctors will treat you really well and congratulate you on taking the first steps. Some are idiots but if you get one of those just go to another. Believe me, they deal with people in addiction and mental health states that (appear through peoples actions) to be worse than us. Taking that first step makes such a difference in how you would feel about yourself and you'll be motivated by it.

Just try and start researching different doctors and their specialities (you can generally find this info online) and book an appointment. If you feel like you can't do it on the day then ring up and cancel, in the end you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain by seeking help

Wilro

• Posted

Hi Everyone,

I’m a stay at home mother (ex-teacher) and sadly I too am addicted to codeine which I started use to treat fibromyalgia about 8 years ago. I take 20 N+ tablets each day (10 morning /10 afternoon). I’m too ashamed to talk to anyone about my addiction. Although I think the monitoring of codeine sales is a good thing, I’m angry that Medsassist was implemented without any thought as to what might happen to us when supply is restricted. I just took my last 10 tablets (getting harder to buy them), so looks like I’m about to go CT without any support. Thank you for sharing your stories, reading them has really helped me to not feel so alone with this struggle.

• Posted

Hi nicole86575,

Welcome to the forum. You won't find anyone shaming you here just honest genuine people who want to deal with our addiction and support each other. Everyone has problems whether it's us with codeine or others with something completely different so there is no shame in seeking help.

I agree about the way MedsASSIST was implemented without thinking enough about how to deal with the fallout as many doctors are not even aware of the problem.

I've written a lot on this thread so I won't retype everything but if you have any questions feel free to ask. I've got notifications set up so I get alerts when someone comments here as a way to keep my involvement up. Commenting here is part of my way of working through my own codeine addiction and some other depression/anxiety issues I have.

Wilro

• Posted

Thanks WilRo for your comforting words, I’m so pleased to have stumbled across this forum. It is such a shame that addiction is still so misunderstood and stigmatised. The reality is most of us don’t fit the ‘stereotype’, we are like everybody else - we are intelligent, hold down jobs, look after family, and have friends. It is the guilt and shame that comes along with this stigma that prevents us from seeking the help and support we need.  
    • Posted

You're welcome nicole86575,

And you're right, most of us don't the fit the stereotype but in saying that I still consider myself an addict. I can't talk about the work I do but it's some serious high level IT infrastructure work for a company I just can't mention (defence related) and yet here I am facing the same problems as everyone else who in the most part never intended to use or become addicted to a drug.

The general public don't even understand how dangerous and how many people die, simply from taking a few extra paracetamol tablets.

Codeine use (for legitimate pain issues) becomes habit and addictive very quickly in some people and once you're hooked it's extremely difficult to for rational thinking to overcome the physical need.

Have you tried anything else for your fibromyalgia? I know of a number of other medications which have helped other people suffering the same. Happy to share info with you if you're interested

WilRo

• Posted

I have tried many things to treat my fibromyalgia including anti-depressants, natural supplements, meditation and exercise but would be willing to hear your suggestions in case I have missed something. It is quite ironic to be speaking with you about my addiction, as my husband also works in high level defence related IT work, and I can’t imagine being able to confide in him. Although he is very supportive and loving, he ignorantly holds the view that addicts can just stop.
    • Posted

Hi WilRo, I've been silently reading this thread beginning to end, and I am very interested in researching your method, but I'm unsure how to privately message through this forum. Thanks :-)

• Posted

Hi Ellenbe

I too had an addiction. The real time system does make it really hard but it also has flaws. You can order online from chemist warehouse using your medicare card number.

A doctor looked at me like I was stupid for saying I was addicted to nurofen plus,he told me it wasn't possible.

• Posted

Hi didi 79034

How can you be sure they aren't unlawfully recording your name and address via the Project STOP monitoring system instead (as some pharmacies in Tasmania have taken it upon themselves to do in the past)? If this happens to be the case, you are at greater risk of having your privacy infringed upon, as unlike MedsASSIST which only records your photographic ID number, it is my understanding that Project STOP automatically sends all your information to law enforcement agencies and health regulators. 

Do you mind me asking how you got over your Nurofen plus addiction?I'm still struggling but have managed to taper successfully over the past week from 20 to 8 per day. It has taken some very stern conversations with myself to get this far. Depression and an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness has crept in which I'm finding the most difficult symptoms to manage.

• Posted

Hi Nicole

Some chemists dont have the program and others go by medicare number instead.

I have previously just reduced what I was taking each time cutting back by 1 or 2. The last time though, i was using paracetamol and codeine as wellas the ibuprofen and codeine. I just stopped taking the ibuprofen and codeine overa week with no effect at all just using the others and can use panadeine extra or Mersyndol night as I need it now.

I hate having to use them but due to chronic pain sometimes a flare up will cause me to relent.

• Posted

Well done to be rid of the N+, I can't wait for that day to come! I do sympathise with you regarding the difficulties in having a chronic pain condition, makes recovery from addiction so much more challenging.

• Posted

Hi Nicole86575,

Wow, what's your experience or knowledge of some pharmacies utilising Project STOP for codeine purchases.

I'd be all over them if I knew of a pharmacy doing that as it's completely inappropriate to use that system for general OTC purchases.

I don't think the authorities would care at all about any records there about people buying codeine based products. Project STOP is used solely to monitor the sales of Pseudoephidrine and record potential "Pseudo Runners" who get paid to go to chemist after chemist buying Psudoephidrine used in the manufacturing of methamphetamines.

• Posted

Hi WilRo,

Actually, it's been going on for quite some time. The ABC reported on it a few years ago, when a bunch of well meaning pharmacists in Tasmania, decided to take it upon themselves to start recording the sales of codeine via the Project STOP system. I have found quite a few references, in other forums, to pharmacies in other states using it to record codeine sales well before MedsASSIST was implemented. 

• Posted

Hi Nicole86575,

Wow, I really didn't know that. That's actually really disgraceful on the patrt of the pharmacists involved. Every pharmacist I've ever spoken to (and there have been many over the years) understood that Project STOP is a law and order tool. I'm actually a little shocked hearing you say that because for the most part (in my experience anyway) pharmacists have always been the people I put more faith and trust in than doctors themselves.

I have doctors (2) at the moment who are chomping at the bit to get me to try a new medication for free as they have cupboards full of stuff given to them by pharmaceutical companies at lunch or dinner functions for marketing and general population use figures. This particular medication has been approved in Australia and Europe but not in the US and the manufacturer has actually pulled the product from seeking US FDA approval.

I would report any and every pharmacist I know who was using Project STOP for codeine monitoring to not only the pharmacy guild, but the police, the TGA an the local and national news organisations. Their behaviour is discusting and has the potential to ruin or hinder everyday people for no reason at all.

WilRo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.