Real time recording of codeine in Australia

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I'm a long time codeine addict, and due to real time recording of codeine have been refused sale of codeine. I understand the reason that the Pharmacy Guild have put it in place, but is that where it ends? Just refuse selling it to people? I feel like they have not thought things through in bringing in these new regulations. They obviously know there are addicts, but have they thought past the notion of just cutting them off? Are there any safeguards in place for those of us who are heavily addicted and have been so for many years now. I read stories of people who then approach their GP, and are told the only option is go cold turkey. I'm really struggling and would like to hear how others are coping with these new changes. 

1 like, 268 replies

268 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

?ok so i've been lingering here in the shaddows, thought it was time to say hello.

?I have been addicted to N+ for probably 10 years and for most of that time i have been takin at least 30 to 40 a day all at once and some days will take 30-40 more than once. Befor i got hooked on N+ i was a heroin addict. I managed to kick my habit, i moved to another city and cut off my old life and everyone in it. I had been clean for 6 months? not sure? I decided to get healthy, get my teeth fixed (i didnt really take care of myself, i had other priorities) I had all my wisdom teeth removed and i was in a little pain so i took a few more then the recomended dose, I had know idear you could get high from N+. I along with everyone else is struggleing with the realtime recording. Really im just so sick of this. I take complete resposibility for my decisions and maybe unlike most of you here i knew what i was getting myself into. this addiction has really stoped me from..... healing. i dont know? i just feel really alone. I wanted to say a whole lot more but im just too tired, just thought id say hi.

• Posted

Hi

You definitely are not alone. Codeine metabolises as morphine in your body, hence the high.

• Posted

You are certainly not alone!Thank you for sharing some of your story with us. I'm sure there are many others reading this thread - who have not reached out - also struggling with an addiction to Nurofen Plus.

• Posted

This addiction can be very isolating. I totally get that. We are all in similar positions and can hopefully support each other.
  • Posted

Hi to all the new people who are in the process of recovering. I'm still about. Not going well, still taking codeine. I'm feeling pretty low about the whole process to be honest. I don't know if this will ever end. My constant relapses are doing my head in.

Anyway, just checking in. Take care.

Ellen

• Posted

Ellenbe,

Sorry for not being so active recently. I started a new job and it takes me over an hour and a half each way. My days are so full now as when I get home I have an hour to be with my kids before having to sleep.

I really, really think you would benefit from taking the course of action I did. You would have to be totally honest with your husband though. That's something you have to decide on your own.

Eventually, this will catch up with you. Please think about how I ended up, you've read my posts. Calling an ambulance in the middle of the night suffering excruciating pain is not something you want to experience.

You don't have to say anything in public. If you PM me I will answer as soon as I can.

It's been nearly 2 1/2 months for me now since I started my treatment and not once have I used any codeine.

Just remember there are options, we can discuss it privately. I really wish you can beat this, or at the very least (as I've done) enter a program that gives your stomach, kidneys and liver a break.

There are so many alternate ways to use the program I'm on. Maybe even ways that you can keep hidden if you wanted to.

Please reach out. I will write you everything you would need to see a doctor and even find the right doctor for you to see if you gave me an indication of where you live. Not your actual address or anything like that but a radius of how far you could travel based on say a postcode. Privately via PM

Please, feel free to ask me anything, what I've chosen has worked so well for me I am completely amazed as is my wife.

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Im sorry too that I've been a bit slack, after not having worked since January and my emergency surgery in February (due to Nurofen+) it's been difficult to get back into the work mode. My offer is the same for everyone. If you want to know what I have been taking to beat my codeine habit I am happy to share but as I've already mentioned it numerous times on forums I'm going to stich to personal messages now.

I will do my best to answer questions from anyone who is genuinely seeking help

WilRo

• Posted

Hi Wilro, I know I have to come clean and be honest to those around me if I'm to give myself any chance of beating this.

I'm close to doing this. It has been knocking around in my head and I know I don't have any other viable alternative really. I just need to muster up the courage.

It sounds like things are improving for you without the codeine, which is great. And congrats on the job. Travel sounds rough, but it sounds like it's worth it.

• Posted

I decided not to taper and to go relatively CT.

The problem was if I have them I will just take the whole packet .. I decided to buy pandeine instead as I knew I wouldn't be able to take more than recommended dose and I'm on day 3.. It really is hell isnt it!? I feel a little better today than yesterday and luckily I have the week off work.. I am taking pandeine still but to be honest they aren't doing anything except maybe taking the edge off ..

The weird thing is I don't feel the slightest bit tempted to give in.. I really was at the point where I was sick of feeling sick and tired ..

• Posted

i guess the only thing I'm worried about is giving in again at some point .. I have had counselling in the past about other issues so don't feel like it's going to help me again as I know what I need to do and what my issues are I just don't do it .,

What's everyone's thoughts on counselling ? I feel I would just be going over the same stuff again ..

• Posted

Hi Maree96037,

You sound very determined which is great, and good luck with the taper. It's so crappy, but you aren't destined to feel bad forever.

I find that I relapse with 2 ways of thinking,

1) I get incredibly anxious about something, and that's my coping mechanism.

2) I think that if I've been off them for a while, then I have more control and can stop when I want....WRONG!!

I wouldn't totally block the idea of further therapy. Maybe a different person will being better results. Keep on fighting.

• Posted

I think it should be made prescription only after going through this ..

I'm on day 4 and feel worse than ever !! Woke up in the biggest hot/cold sweat .. I don't want to give up though

Part of what is helping me through it is just pretending it's a bad flu which it feels like.

I understand what you mean ellenbe about anxiety as it does help with that but in the end I was feeling worse because I'm a strong believer about the gut being the second brain and the Nplus was causing havoc on my gut and therefore my anxiety ..

I am going to start meditation/mindfulness and yoga again when I feel well enough.. at the moment it feels like these symptoms are going to last forever :-(

• Posted

Hi ellenbe and co.. Are you still around ?

Unfortunately I relapsed and am Back at square one .. Doing another taper as my lady cold turkey took me a month to feel right so makes about as much sense to do a month long taper and hopefully avoid the worst of it..

I am kicking myself for getting back here and so glad they are making it script only! Unfortunately I have found a few pharmacies who don't monitor ..

How are you doing ? Your haven't posted in ages so hope your ok!

• Posted

Hi everyone, another NP plus addict here.. I currently take around 20 a day.. thought something like this would never happen to me.. etc etc.. I am also a health professional so feel like I should have known better.. all started due to unhappiness/depression.. like alot of us it made me feel better about life.. I have been wondering for ages what everyone else has been doing since they cracked down with the monitoring.. unfortunately for me I have found few chemists who don't monitor... I guess the loss of sales would have been too much for them.. Anyway, I don't even really get a high from it anymore its just a bad habit and makes me feel sick and so so tired.. I have just gotten so lazy.. can barely get through a day at work.. I am planning to try and do a rapid taper down.. wish me luck..

• Posted

also just to explain.. i initially took it for bad period pain and was always fine just taking it once a month.. somehow it escalated.. I feel so disgusted with myself but it helps knowing there is so many of us out there!!  xoxo
    • Posted

Hey... Dont feel bad... I was on about 90 tablets... am off them now... took me 3 weeks.. worst time of my life, but am fine.

I had a hic up a little while ago... but am back on track now.

Hang in there... you are not defined by this... you will break free

• Posted

Hi Maree96037, how are you going? Did you try the rapid taper?

I find with my addiction I'm very keen for a little while to quit, then it all unravels (for whatever reason).

All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.