Knee replacement and depression

Posted , 18 users are following.

I've had both knees done 4 weeks ago and was not prepared for the pain and hopelessness but worst of all is the depression is this normal 

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi ann dont despair i had a tkr on my left knee 14 weeks ago and found the first two weeks the worst day 6 was terrible it is normal for you to feel like this i was worried about it as well i found it gets better week by week at week four i was much better i would find myself cryingfor no reason at all even when my little5 yr old  grandaughter came to see i woud burst into tears me trust me you will get better and stronger week by week
    • Posted

Thanks gerane 6 weeks to day definitely getting better still down a wee bit sometimes but getting there
  • Posted

Hi Ann,

Checking in to see how you are doing...almost 5 weeks post op....still pain and depression....hopefully week 6 will be the turning point.....doing my exercises and going to pt....just bored to death.....I know better days are ahead!!

• Posted

Hi Kmelish,

6.5 weeks, understand the boredom. But this forum really helps. I have a few very sick and younger friends, so that helps me remember how lucky I am that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I know it is hard, but as Mohammed Ali said 'Don't count the days, make each day count'

Easy to say I know. We'll get there and hopefully when we look back it will be just a blip.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Hi kmelish you will get there try and keep your mind active read,listen to music,pick something simple to be thankful for each day, I looked at my 2 grandkids pics just before going to sleep and when I work up they are both under a year and fill my heart with joyat definitely getting there still got stiffness and the uncomfortable but the moods definitely lifted shorts walks everyday just add a wee bit  further each time plus the weather here is great makes you feel better even did some housework chin up keep reading the post definitely helps 
  • Posted

I am playing catch up reading posts I've missed over the last few days. You are all so dear to my heart and soul. The words of encouragement, the commiseration on issues only those who have been there really understand, every word is priceless.

This Wednesday I am having MUA. My hope is that I am still able to return to work in about 12 days. After the procedure I go directly to physio, and continue with that 3 days a week for a month.

So touch woodl and hope for the best!

To each of you, wherever you are in the recovery process, hang in there and know you have found true friends here.

• Posted

Best of luck Anne.

I will say a prayer that it all goes well.

Keep us posted

Take care,

Alan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.