Ongoing bladder problems currently have spc fitted, needing advice on bladder removal female asap!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have ongoing health problems which are gradually getting worse as the days go by. I had Botox in my bladder and it's basically broke my bladder. Due to other health problems I was unable to isc and had a spc fitted. The pain is excruciating as the doctors 'think' I have fowlers syndrome. They haven't diagnosed me properly but want to remove my whole bladder and put a stoma in place on the outside of my tummy. I would like to know what to expect in regards to appointments and is it quite straight forward meaning I have a consent appointment and then a pre-op and then one more just before op and then go in for the surgery?

Any help would be lovely

Xx

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have urinary retention for years. I was prescribed a medication to relax the sphincter muscle. It has helped me a lot. Sometimes I needed to use a catheter before meds. 

have you tried any meds ?

i am sorry to hear that Botox has developed the injury to ur bladder.

are u in the US. 

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying. They originally thought it was detrusor instability where the sphincter muscle doesn't relax. I have tried numerous amounts of medications and every treatment available to me on the nhs but none of them helped me they just made me worse. My bladder and urethra are in constant spasm because the fowlers is a disease what makes them basically hate each other and so they fight. I'm currently on Oxybutinin 3 xaday now which is highest dose for them. They did have a look into sns but I'm not a suitable candidate because of my spinal problems. Now they will be removing my bladder which I'm more than happy with I just wish they would hurry up.
    • Posted

Ok I understand what has happened in your case. You would like it removed. I have been told by many urologists that in women bladder retention is not always clear. In a males case it's usually due to swollen prostate glands. In females there is nothing to obscure the flow. 

I suffer from back and nerve condition so the doc thinks my issue is more from nerve damage. I was in a bad accident hit by a drunk driver caused nerve damage to my back. Occasionally I must wear a Foley Cath.

HOPE

• Posted

Hi have you been on the COB site.  It is a website for people with serious bladder problems.  It has really helped me. They have loads of information with people who have fowler so and are / have been in a similar situation to yourself.  I would certainly recommend them.  You can also speak to people direct.  

If you need any more information please let me know.

i really hope you manage to get things sorted and able to speak to someone who is going through what you are, before you have your operation.  Please keep me informed.  

I am currently being assessed to see whether I am suitable for SNS, if not I will be going through a similar thing to yourself.

i wish you all the luck in the world

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.