Getting my galladder removed in a week!

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am a 22 year old female and my primary doctor found gallstones during an ultrasound check (2 large and 2 small ones at least). I get pains on my upper right and lower left abdomen I would say at least once a week. It is painful but manageable (I did not go to the do for for this pain, it was just a general check up) He sent me to see a laparoscopic surgery expert. They keep telling me that it is best to remove the gallbladder before something happens i.e pancreatitis or bile dict blockage. I have agreed to do the surgery next week but I wanted peoples imput, both professionals as well as people who have gone through the procedure under similar circumstances. Thanks in advance!

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please don't do it. Do a gallbladder cleanse, and eat lots of fruits and veggies. Bread and potatoes etc. Just no fried, or greasy meals. Life is different after gallbladder removal. I'm a vegetarian now, and had I chosen a better diet before the removal I would've been able to save it. If you absolutely must, then okay, just know that it's a different world afterwards. If it comes to it, don't be scared, just understand your diet, and habits will have to change. I now have IBS, and crohns. The excess bile build is no fun. Weigh your options darling. Best wishes either way!
  • Posted

That was quick 2 get it out i been in pain for the last 6 months and i got 2 wait another 6 months plus to have gb just glad your having it now rather than waiting b4 the pain gets really bad cleansing dont work 4 me and i now only eat salad and chicken and still in constant pain x
  • Posted

I had mine removed 7 weeks ago, I started off with just manageable bout of pain episodes prior to the op leading up to excruciating bouts, after the op I get the odd twinge now, it did take a while for me to recover, I only returned to work last week. However when they did they went to do the op a few stones had been floating about as they had got out of the gall bladder, it was lucky that they did the op when they did before any of the stones had managed to do any damage, it took me s while to recover but glad I had the op, although during the recovery time I was regretting it as felt so week and sore fir about 5 & 1/2 weeks but finally turned a corner
  • Posted

I also have 1 large gallstone which was just found under a routine check. I was told as my gallbladder was healthy it wasn't crucial that I had it removed as I was undecided. It was left that if things got worse or I decided to have it out to go back to them.

I watch what I eat with the usual treat as well. I found that you can still eat most foods but go for a lower fat content. I made a cheesecake at the weekend with low fat yoghurt instead of full cream and everyone wanted seconds. I have bought an air fryer so I can still have chips once a week but with only 1 teaspoon of fat they are ok.

In the end it is upto you. I have chosen to keep mine at the moment as they are already trying out the new laser treatment where the stones are broken down so when that becomes more readily available in hopsitals I will have that done as I still get to keep my gallbladder.

• Posted

It is so difficult to make this decision if your pain is not enough to push you into it. I have posted elsewhere with my history but I had stones discovered 10 years back on a scan for something else and they were left alone, as is often the advice in the UK if you are not suffering much, although I certainly had digestive troubles, these were put down to other causes. Anyway fast forwarding, I managed on a low fat healthy diet and lots of supplements etc until last year, much stress and a few other ailments and I became very unwell and abdo pain 24/7, tests and scans could only find a hernia and gallstones, so I'm awaiting surgery, a long wait, with several postponements by the hospital. I never wanted surgery and you do get negative stories online, as those with problems are no doubt more likely to post, but nothing else has worked and I feel now I just have to go along with it as there is no quality to living like this, not being able to eat anything really now without pain on some level.

In your case, you do seem to be having some symptoms although currently manageable. As it seems you can arrange surgery very quickly where you live if the need arises, you could try diet and lifestyle changes to see if this settles things. This may mean you never have further trouble or it could delay further trouble. My mother has gallstones at 88 and has had them for years, she lives with very poor digestion but never had the gb removed.

On the other hand there is always some degree of risk of the complications people mention, or severe attacks, so you may wish to avoid this and go for removal now, or if you are female and want children, some Drs advise removal before as the hormones can trigger attacks and surgery may not always be possible in pregnancy.

Only you can make the decision and surgery of any kind has risks and may have undesirable after effects, as people report. You can't get the Gb back, so bear this in  mind, but if it is badly malfunctioning, you are technically already living without the benefits of a Gb anyway.

Another thought - have they offered you a HIDA scan? As I believe this can determine whether your Gb is working or not. The NHS hospital I attend does not offer them if you have known stones, only those without who have symptoms but I've read on here that some people are tested regardless.

Good luck with whatever you opt for.

• Posted

Hi, if you are in pain, then I would have the surgery. I understand that everyone on this site is different.  Cleanses sound attractive, but you already have a gallbladder making stones.  It won't stop. This is a sign of disfunction and a diseased organ. I was diagnosed with stones years before I had the surgery.  My liver got irritated and started to make lots of bile, so I had uncontrollable diarreha towards the end.  I couldn't leave the house! If you wait till it gets worse, you could have other symptoms, nausea, vomiting. Some people on this site have no longer been able to hold a job. Your doctors may have told you that gallbaldder cancer can also develop. Work with your doctors to keep yourself well.  Best of luck and let us know how you do!
    • Posted

I'm not saying go the attractive way. I'm saying just try an alternative before you give up. Johnny the juicer had this issue, and crohn's disease..he pushed through it, and ate differently, saved his body. I wish I would've done that before. It's easy to say" just do it", but it's not easy living the after math of this surgery, and how the tummy over acts with all the excess bile. I'm not trying to fight anyone, just trying to say there are other ways to save this nightmare.
    • Posted

Hi, please accept my apology.  I appreciate your thoughts about this. I tried juicing, too, but I was too far gone for it to help me very much--in fact, I got much, much worse.  I have BAM now, and struggle with it every day, so I do understand. I can't get out much, haven't got much stamina.  I was so hopeful after my gallbladder surgery, but I'm one of the ones who wasn't cured entirely.  I think that people can be helped by alternative cures, but I wasn't one of them.  My gallbladder was filled with sludge, and I had to beg the surgeon to remove it--I hadn't been well for a long time, and no doctor I visited listened.  I think by the time most people get on this site, they're desperate, maybe about to lose their job, their relationship, etc. I think that you are very caring and your contributions are very valuable, please don't think I don't xxx.
  • Posted

I also need guidance.  I have had mid abdominal pain for a month, but it doesn't seem to be food related.  I am 63.  I had a CT scan Friday and the nurse called and said to come back Mon (to discuss surgery) as I have many, many gallstones (her words were a "rock garden" of gallstones.  But my pain is central, not on the right, and my surgeon daughter in another state says to wait as there are risks and from what I have read, digestion is never the same again.  I am not overweight, I exercise, and I haven't been able to really work and I can't retire yet.  I haven't found any discussion on having a few gallstones vs having a whole lot of gallstones.  Part of me doesn't understand how the gallbladder can do its job from a medical point of view when it is filled with gallstones, and it should come out.  Part of me says to try to be patient....  Help!
    • Posted

I have some similarities to yourself, age group and atypical pain with many gallstones - if youwant to read my experiences, I have posted on here quite a bit. Recently gone for a second opinion which helped a lot. I understand your dilemma. If you are in the USA, you may have different experiences to the UK where I am. I have been waiting some time now for surgery, with several cancellations by the hospital. If youare able to get your surgery at shortish notice should the need arise, look into options. It seems you have symtoms plus gallstones but you need reassurance it is really GB related. Same

here, I'm having surgery soon and praying it will all be OK. Hope you can find answers to help you soon.

• Posted

Thanks Cynthia.  I did go back and read your postings and I appreciate the input.  The common sense part of me just doesn't understand how, if one has many, many gallstones, how can it even be functioning.  I see the Doctor here Monday. I tried a short work out on a stationary bike today and got major sweats (I have worked out for 40 yrs- no the normal sweats) and the nausea got worse.  Just a bit scared because I am normally so healthy.
  • Posted

Hi everybody. Just wanted to update you on how my surgery and recovery are going. The surgery itself went well. The doctor said my gallbladder showed signs of chronic inflammation. When I woke up I complained to my nurse about the soreness in my belly and she gave me more pain meds but she also gave me an abdominal binder which is amazing!!! It really helps with the pain as well as making sure I don't move too much. When I got home I started to feel nauseous and would throw up everything within a few minutes (I tried jello, broth, and even water came back out). After a phone call with my doctor she prescribed me with suppositories ( I know, fun right) which really did the trick. The next day they weren't necessary. I had plenty of pain on day 2 and today (day 3) but it is getting manageable. Today I ate oatmeal, cookies, chicken breast, asparagus, and cauliflower all without much consequence. I have not had any bowel movements in the past 3 days so I will try Milk of Magnesia in the AM. I will update later on and let you guys know if I pick up any more tips.

• Posted

Glad you have come through OK, if with some discomforts, which are probably to be expected. Hope you soon recover. Take care.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for letting us know!  So glad your surgery went well.  Do take care and remember that it's still major surgery, so give yourself plenty of opportunities to rest and get better!  

• Posted

Hi Lynda, Ok thanks. D Day is 11th July. Bit fed up as have tripped and bruised foot badly! Was trying to get fitter for op and now limping!! Hope you are OK.
    • Posted

Glad you know you finally have a date!  I know that every time I start to try to get fit I hurt myself, too.  It's as if my body says, "No you dont!" I'm okay.  Have some gyn troubles now.  Trying to get that sorted.  Then, once that's done, I need to have a colonoscopy! As they say, getting older's not for sissies!  My best to you, and please let me know how you get on.  Know I'll be thinking of you!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.