Efficacy of physical therapy post TURP to regain continence?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a green laser, and then a gyrus Turp procedure over last 3+ months.  The latter was cleanup to the first, and it was a month ago.  After both procedures, I was sent to PTthat is supposed to help me regain continence. As of yet, nothing has helped as I still need 4-6 Depends each day, and they are all very wet when I change.  I spend hours doing Kegel and other exercises each day at home.

I read of one review of Kegel, etc.effectiveness studies, that concluded that they are effective for women with incontinence, but the results were "ambigious" for men.   Has anyone here done Kegel and other PT and found them helpful?  And how long did it take you to regain/improve your incontinence problem?    I'm trying to see if there might be some light in this dark tunnel I've been in for the last three months.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Glenn,  I had HOLEP surgery last August. As I understand it, it's sort of green laser on steroids. After 6 days with an internal catheter, I found myself completely incontinent. I did daily Kegels and my incontinence gradually resolved over 4 months. I have no way of knowing how much the Kegels contributed to the improvement but they couldn't have hurt any. Stick with it, and good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you, Matt.  I will endeavor to stay the course.  It's helpful to hear that someone else was totally incontinent, and recovered finally.

May I detail my current situation and see how it compares to your experience?  First, I recently had my 77th birthday and I think very fit for my age.  I've exercised, walked, biked, etc and am close to the weight I was when I graduated from high school.  So I am very fortunate in those respects.

Here's a description of the level of my incontinence: (1)  in walking about or standing doing thinks in the shop, kitchen or cutting grass, my bladder constantly drains, and will continue to do until it's empty, or essentially so.  I find it really distracting to feel those periodic "surges" of urine being passed, especially if I'm talking to someone or standing to sing in the choir at church.  They are not painful spasms, just little surges that I have a hard time controlling.  I assume the surges are from the bladder contracting.

If, however, I am seated, I can accumulate a fair amount of urine in the bladder.  (Maybe the pressure on the perinium from the padded chair?)  If I sit long enough, I might even  keep 150 or 200 ml in.   If I sit in the recliner, one that brings feet horizontal with back going "way back", I might be able to keep in 400 to 450 ml before the urge says "get thee to the toilet forthwith!"  (I keep graduated urinals in two bathrooms at home.)

I sleep on my back at night, and am now getting up only once or twice.  Last night, I slept soundly, and when the bladder woke me, I had a full 500 ml (16 oz)   I went back to sleep, and after a couple of hours when I got up for the day, there was another 200 ml or so.

So looking on the bright side, there are some situations when I can avoid constant draining into the Depends pull on diapers.  Being someone who likes to be up and about (when constant drainage to the point of an empty bladder occurs), that's what is giving me the most angst.

So I wonder how my situation compares to what you experienced.  Thanks so much for your taking the time to reply.

Glenn

• Posted

Wish you well, hang in there brother. Hanging in there is something we sometimes, have been forced to do. You're in my prayers.
    • Posted

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply and prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.