Any options? RA

Posted , 9 users are following.

I was diagnosed with RA about 3 months ago and the rheumatologist put me on methotrexate and I take folic acid, I have only been on them about 3 weeks but I am not liking it at all so far every single time I take the methotrexate the next day I have crazy stomach pains and feel so sick! I feel like I just got off a roller coaster sick to my stomach. Is there any other options for me? I go back to see the doc in 2 weeks so I was wanting to ask is there anything else I can try? Obviously this medicine takes time to work because I still wake up everyday swollen and in pain but I literally dread taking it every week because of the stomach pain and nausea, thanks for your help advice

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

ou are just beginning treatment. . .tell you doctor, as maybe i'ts too high a dose for starting out. I didn't have that, but was just SOOOO TIRED, that I quit my adjunct teaching job-- and can't get those jobs back.

So before you stop, tell your doc. Maybe you need an antacid, too.

Good Luck

• Posted

Thank you barbara, yes I am the same way I literally have no enervy at all and I'm in the military and just feel sluggish all day

• Posted

I inject MTX but it makes me incredibly nauseous so my Doc gave me Leucovarin Calcium tablets which are taken four hours after the injection, they have worked for me.
    • Posted

Sorry, the Leucovarin Calcium is taken instead of the Folic Acid.
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with Methatrexate. I am in the same position as you, I have been recently diagnosed and am on my 5th week of the drug. I dread taking it too, but this week, things changed slightly! I didn't feel as sick or dizzy! I am hoping this is my body getting used to the drugs... Hopefully this will happen for you.

FYI. My worst reaction was my 3rd week of taking it!

All the best.

• Posted

Yes. You can also inject MTX. But give it a bit more time, it may settle.

Otherwise, tell your doctor you want to inject. You can do it yourself (1x week) once they've shown you how.

Use a small insulin needle, which is tiny and relatively unintrusive, and inject the fluid into the fatty tissue of your thigh or wherever they recommend.

That way you by-pass the stomach and all the problems that entails.

Good luck!

• Posted

I started off with 7 pills once a week of methotrexate and folic acid. I was advised by my rheumatologist to stay home the day after I take the pills. I didn't get any side effects but my pain was not improving so it was switched to injection. I have been on antacid this whole time. I don't get the nausea and I attribute that to antacid. I do get the occasional dizzy spell and now I think I

know what foggy brain is (loss of train of thought). However I get drowsy and tired at the drop of a hat. I believe it's due to RA and the meds.

I alternate the shots from stomach to thighs. Avoid stretch marks and rub the area after. Sometimes I will get a crampy feeling on my thighs but otherwise just burning and that goes away.

• Posted

I tried the metho for four weeks. Nausea, headaches, but the worst was the dizziness, lightheadedness, and flu like sysmptoms on the third day. The nausea got better, but the other stuff didn't. Rheumy took me off the meds. I've been on 5 mg prednisone for five months.

A week and a half after my last metho dose had a bad flair. The only joints not hurting were elbow and shoulders. Got into the doc and started leflunomide. No nausea. Been on it a week now so I can't tell if it is helping yet. But the swelling has gone down. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.