I want to come off Sertraline, but really scared!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been on 50mg sertraline since september last year, for severe anxiety and deppression. I was so so bad lost waigh was suicidal, intrusive thoughts ect.

Im much much better now and have been 99.9% my self since march this year.

problem is i have put on over a stone in waight, and dont want to get to the stage of poop out??/

ive heard to reduce it by 10% each month, but how do you do that with this tiny tablet?

Im so so so scared of relapse, plz anyone who has done it, let me know ur ok and doing well?

any positive support and advice will be so good.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

I'm currently going through the exact same thing, I'mm currently going through the withdrawal phase, I decreased my dose gradually until it reached to 25mg every 3 days. I'm experiencing some dizziness, some anger spikes, a bit of nausea, light depression. But nothing I can't handle. my super big question is: are you doing this on your own? or with a doctor? 

I suggest you do everything while consulting a professional. 

is Weight the main reason you want to get off of it? 

• Posted

i havnt seen my dr in ages to be honest, obviously i will speak to her first.

but she said to me origionaly , ide be on for 6 months, and its been way more.

weighr its not the main reason, but a big part of it, I just dont want it to one day just stop working, then that would be awfull.

are you not following the 10% taper?

your so brave.

• Posted

Honestly the 10% taper is the most logical and safer option. I was a bit rushy and wanted to get off of it ASAP (which I really do not advise by the way) I think you should definitely consult your doctor about the 10% taper and not do like what I did.

I'm just curious about why people would want to cut off zoloft for weight issues. this is new to me, that's all. 

About it stopping to work, I think that this scenario is a bit far fetched. Some people have been on it for more than 15 years and are still going strong. It just depends on the person and what you want and need. 

• Posted

Yes it is a bit too fast, then again it depends on your mental status and what you want. I admit it is difficult to do what i'm doing but it is the choice I made. 

• Posted

Hi Latifa

i was on 50mg sertraline for 2.5 years, I successfully weaned myself off using the 10% method. 

I cut my tablet with a pill cutter 10% for at least a month at a time until I got down to a sewing pin head size then just stopped.

you can also ask GP for a prescribe the liquid dose and then use a 10ml syringe. 

I had minimal w/d effects doing it this way and have been off altogether now for about 2-3 months.

BTW I am also back to my pre sertraline weight,

good luck x

• Posted

OMG thats amaizing to hear, when you say minimal withdawels , what do you mean? 

oh gosh i realy hope i can do it too, where do i get a pill cutter from?

Thanks for your reply

• Posted

about the waight, do you think yiu craved more food when yiu was on sertraline? or does the med slow your metabolism?

like i know i craved and kaned a lot of chocolate.

i dint get it??

• Posted

Hi

you can get pill cutters from the chemist/pharmacist although the liquid is more accurate I managed fine.

i did sometimes eat more but even when I went on a health kick I couldn't shift the weight. Once I was off them altogether my cravings went and I was able to eat more sensibly and I lost the extra weight.

The minimal w/d effects were short periods of dizziness when I moved my head quickly and headaches. All very manageable and not long lasting at all, you can be fully in control so for eg if you don't feel stable a month after cutting you can stick with whatever your dose is for longer, there's no rush. don't be worried about coming off, the thought of it is worse than doing it. It takes patience but is worth it in the end. Take Care x

• Posted

I was on 25 mg for 2 years. I gained a total of 30 lbs. My doctor suggested I come off. I tappered down from 25 to 12.5 over the course of a month. He did not advise me to cut the 12.5 in half. I think that is the main reason things happened the way they did. I went into full withdrawal. It was like having the flu but worse because my anxiety was so high. I was afraid to leave my house. I was afraid to be in my house. It was horrible. I was off the meds a week before I had any withdrawal. I went back on the meds 2 days into the withdrawal but did not receive the effects of it until a week later. I am back on, now at 37.5 mg. It has been 3 months. Safe to say I will never be coming off again. It was horrific.
    • Posted

OH MY GOD, NOW THAT HAS FREAKED ME OUT SO MUCH.

but obviously you did not do the 10% taper, so perhaps thats why

• Posted

I didnt want to freak you out I'm so sorry!!! Just wanted to give my side of the story and warn you if you dont do it the right way you'll end up like me. I'm crossing my fingers for you, you will be okay! <3

• Posted

Have been on Sertraline 150mg for almost a year now. Had slowly tapered off, on my own, of Sertraline 100mg, about two years ago. Thought everything was OK and I was doing pretty good until a very stressful situation happened in my life; That and also having a problem with alcohol, which put me right back in the panic attacks, feeling anxious, feeling depressed and not wanting to leave the house. Had started this journey with my first panic attack occurring in 2007. Out of the blue while on my way to work, I suddenly had this sick rolling feeling come over me...Tightness in my chest and trouble breathing. Thinking "No this can't be happening to me...A heart attack?" No, it was not a heart attack, only my first panic attack. A doctor's visit immediate produced this diagnosis, putting me at home on prescriptions of Clonazepam, (Sedative) It can treat seizures, panic disorder, and anxiety, and Zoloft

After about two weeks, I was slowly taken off the  Clonazepam which made me sleepy all the time. Then on just continuing on with Zoloft. 

The cause of these problems lies in our body not producing natural chemicals our bodies produce to keep things on an even plane. The serotonin levels become out of wack and we then need help by taking these prescriptions of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) drugs.

• Posted

From my personal experiences, and what I have read, by changing your diet, (Low carbs, no sugar, and less salt), and a good exercise plan can help to correct this chemical imbalance in your system. However, for me, I am not going to be able to change all those things at 62yrs old over night. Therefore I feel that I need to have this help from this drug at this time in my life.

Yes, I did gain weight from the drug, (35#), but I also quit smoking and had a problem with my hand reaching for gummy bears and bakery far too much. Did not have those habits before quitting smoking.

I do know that the reason it takes several weeks to feel on an even Kiel after starting these drugs, is that the prescriptions are to be taken as prescribed to keep the chemical in balance by the build-up of the meds. in your system. Everyones' body chemistry reacts differently and may have different effects from taking the drug, as well as being taken off of them.

I would rather have a few extra pounds on my German Goyder than feel out of control from a panic attack and deep depression. If you decide you have to get yourself off the meds, make sure you weene yourself off slowly. Also know that some of these drugs can send you over the edge if you do not slowly reduce the intake amounts. Also keep in mind that you really need to talk to your doctor about what you are doing if you taper off. You can always go back on some form of this type jof drug if you need them to keep you stable. These daily doses are needed to keep the amounts of chemicals in check, and jif you can change your life to be able to not need them, them great...But never feel that you have to be asamed of needing them to live your life!

• Posted

Thank you for your advise.

i have put on a lot of weight, and i keep hearing that no amount of diet can change that?? but i will try.

i will deffinatly speak to my dr first, and i think im going to stick with the meds for another couple of months, then think about coming off, then it will have been 1 year on them. to be honest i started only feeling 99% better in march.

Thank you.

• Posted

Same! I rather have a few extra pounds than not have my mental health!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.