Recurrent enterococcus UTI or IC?

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my situation because I'm getting to a very depressed point and seriously affecting my mental health!

A year ago I started a new relationship and ended up with a very painful UTI, blood in the urine, incredible painful! It was only the second I've ever had in my life. Took antibiotics and all cleared up fine. About two months later, again after sex with my new partner I ended up with an equally as painful one, again antibiotics kicked this one - first tried trimethoprim and then nitrofuratoin when that didn't work.

Again few months later I got another. This one wasn't as bad, no blood or stinging just frequency and twinges. Luckily I knew earlier than the previous two what was going to happen and was put on nitrofuratoin again. Since then I have had a further 6 UTIs over the course of a 6 month period.

They all stem from sex. I was put on daily trimethoprim that didn't work. So put on nitrofuratoin as a prophylactic after sex but I have just ended up with yet another one and this time nitrofuratoin doesn't seem to be kicking it so quickly. It's been over a week on them and I'm still getting twinges.

Worth noting that cultures were never run on my initial two UTIs, presumably because with the blood I was just treated ASAP.

Further 3 cultures - 2 have shown nothing, I presume because I started self treating, and the last one showed enterococcus.

Both myself and my partner have been tested and nothing found STD wise.

I'm at my wits end. I've tried cranberry, vitamin C, olive leaf extract, cysticlean, charcoal, d'Mannose, antibiotics. The lot!

The UTI symptoms I now get are different to my initial first two. I feel urgency but not stinging. There is a dull ache on my bladder and what can only be described as a spasm in my urethra. It spasms and almost goes from the bottom all the way up to my bladder in a sharp spam which then makes me need the loo.

- could this be IC caused by the initial UTI?

- am I now resistant to nitrofuratoin as that appears to not be treating it?

- is it an enterococcus UTI that just never went away and keeps coming back?

- I am now taking probiotics but is my immune system just out of whack with all the antibiotics and that's what's causing it? Just before I met my partner I was in hospital on IV antibiotics as well so could that have caused issues?

- my partner uses shampoo to wash down there (!) - could this be a reaction to that rather than a UTI per see?

PLEASE can someone shed some light or help me work out what I can try? I'm losing the will to live here. I don't drink, put off having sex, dot want to go anywhere in case I get twinges, it's ruining my 27 year old life sad

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

PRE biotics powder every day is needed to put back good bugs. Strict diet really helps. Plus only bottles mineral water. Tap water too many chemicals. Wash pants towels etc with eco egg. No washing powder. It's worth it to be free from pain.

• Posted

You need to see a urologist. Ive had ic disease since i was 21. I am now 46..thats exactly how mine started. Always on antibiotocs that did nothing. Urologist did a scope and bladder distintion and diagnosed me. You can take over the counter uti relief. But it has to be the kind that turn your pee orange. Drink plenty of water to flush it through.. Then go see a Dr and get on top of it before its worse.
  • Posted

Did u ever get rid of your enteroccus uti
  • Posted

Did u ever get rid of the enterococcus. Is so how
  • Posted

Hi belle

Did you manage to resolve your enterococcus uti? I am in the same situation.. always had E. coli UTIs and have taken a lot of antibiotics.. I have suffered all my adult life... now 49... this latest uti is enterococcus ... I cannot leave the house I’m so uncomfortable... I haven’t slept for over 2 weeks... please if you can give me any tips I would be eternally  grateful.. currently on co amoxiclav That doesn’t appear to be working... I am so desperate .. so uncomfortable all the time and mr dr is at a loss 

Jo

• Posted

Did the doctor send urine to a lab to see what drug it is sensitive to?   Call dr. Dont suffer
  • Posted

Are you using condoms? I'm finding a link between using condoms and getting UTIs, I've read that most lubricated condoms have spermacide on them which can cause e. coli to grow more easily and can set off your normal flora. I'm also noticing that everytime I get a uti that I'm also constipated, which will also cause a UTI. i wish i had known this years ago. I hope this helps. best!

• Posted

hi there,

I've just seen your post and funnily enough I'm the opposite. Condoms are preventing my UTI's. I wonder if this is unusual. Ours do not have any spermacide on them. We do use a natural water based organic lube with and without condoms, so that's not been an issue. I'm definitely trigged by something in my partner.

• Posted

Hi there,

My situation is similar to yours, reoccurring UTI's after sex and endless rounds of antibiotics. I had a scan of the bladder and kidneys to ensure no stones / blockages and bladder emptied correctly. I became resistant to 2 common antibiotics and only Keflex worked. d'mannose to ease symptoms.

After talking with friend who had another friend going through the same thing, she said the other couple had started using condoms and she was no longer getting UTI's. Well, thankfully this worked for me. As long as we use condoms I do not get UTI's anymore. While I am thankful to be out of that loop of pain & antibiotics & stress, ultimately my boyfriend and I would like to not use condoms.

Could be worth mentioning i am possibly perimenopausal, he has had a vasectomy and we are both scrupulous about hygiene and hair removal to ensure the e-coli is not coming from the anal area. Yes, my urine culture came back showing E-coli.

I'd like to know if anyone else out there had had this experience with UTI's. Ie, Condoms actually preventing the infection? My bf is negative for all STDs. Next step is to try and get a private semen analysis and urethral swab to rule out any bacterial infections.

• Posted

Hi there,

My situation is similar to yours, reoccurring UTI's after sex and endless rounds of antibiotics. I had a scan of the bladder and kidneys to ensure no stones / blockages and bladder emptied correctly. I became resistant to 2 common antibiotics and only Keflex worked. d'mannose to ease symptoms.

After talking with friend who had another friend going through the same thing, she said the other couple had started using condoms and she was no longer getting UTI's. Well, thankfully this worked for me. As long as we use condoms I do not get UTI's anymore. While I am thankful to be out of that loop of pain & antibiotics & stress, ultimately my boyfriend and I would like to not use condoms.

Could be worth mentioning i am possibly perimenopausal, he has had a vasectomy and we are both scrupulous about hygiene and hair removal to ensure the e-coli is not coming from the anal area. Yes, my urine culture came back showing E-coli.

I'd like to know if anyone else out there had had this experience with UTI's. Ie, Condoms actually preventing the infection? My bf is negative for all STDs. Next step is to try and get a private semen analysis and urethral swab to rule out any bacterial infections.

• Posted

Hi there, I have found this forum today and I think I might be able to help you out I know its been months, I'm not sure if you still have problems or if any other person sees this that it can help you or someone you know out

This bacteria is Gram -Positive

You Can have a UTI and not show on the UTI test kit for nitrates in your urine.

It also can thrive in an alkaline ph . It builds a biofilm around it to protect itself

Coconut Oil breaks down Biofilm

Herbs that kill it: Holy Basil

it seems you keep being reinfected because friction (sex)

will break it down in the bladder and alert the immune system that you have caught something when all long it never left, you just got rid of it of some of the bacteria, your immune system thought it was gone but it was not.

• Edited

I have had the worst time with urinary infections. I just went to the doctor on 2 days ago and she wouldn't treat me because I have began to self treat and it ruins my urine cultures but I feel like I have to self treat because if I don't I get VERY ILL. If its a standard uti with the burning and clenching at the end then macrobid works but now after chronic infections it immediately gets nasty and goes to my bladder or worse....and need penecillin. I went in 2 weeks ago and got macrobid and it helped but I didn't feel like it was completely gone so sure enough 2 weeks later its back so I took 1 macrobid I had left in morning and went in that day. They want to blame me for it not going away for self treating but clearly I wouldn't be doing that if the infection would clear up. They have sent my urine to see if bacteria grows a couple of times and it always comes back ok? Last fall I went in right after my period because something didn't feel right and my urine was fine so I go home....it gets worse...I self treat but doesn't go away.....I wait until I'm super sick to go in.....sure enough...infection...get macrobid....uti symptoms go away....BUT my body was still sick. I sat in the chair all day and didn't have an ounce of energy and when I would get up to do the bare minimum my heart would race, my body felt heavy, and my head would pound. It was scary and awful and it took months to feel normal again so I don't care what they think, I will do whatever it takes to avoid that situation again. I'm trying to figure out why they can't catch the infection before I'm so sick AND why the antibiotics aren't working. And its NOT from self treating because I didn't start that until I realized I was on a roller coaster and every time I would go in they say its fine when I know its not. I read on a blog that you can ask your doctors office to order these particular uti tests to help track the bacteria and insurance will pay for them. I also had a nurse practitioner say it sounded like pid but I don't have std and I let them waste time testing anyway. So if it is that then how did I get it? Sex has also triggered my symptoms but after 25 years together were not exactly goin at it. My period seems to trigger symptoms. I had my son at 20 and had an episiotomy. I remember healing for a long time and I also remember wiping in the bathroom and a finding a piece of feces and not being sure exactly where it came from if u know what I mean? After I struggled with constant yeast and bv infections. it really affected me and my sex life due to confidence. Then in my thirties I started using a lactic acid vaginal wash and using rephresh gel after sex to keep my bacteria straight and I was confident and fresh, having the best sex of my life. Then I started having stomach problems including an ulcer and chronic constipation. My doctor blamed my constipation on a medication but I have been taking it for 10 years so why would it suddenly cause this? Several days past and I didn't realize I hadn't had a bowel movement and it was horrible. I had to call into work, I couldn't sit down, pacing back and forth fighting through cramps and thought I was gonna pass out when I finally went!! This was around the same time I started with these uti infections. I'm wondering if I have a rectocele somewhere allowing bacteria where it doesn't belong? I also just put together that about 10 years ago I had chronic sinusitis and took antibiotics for a year straight before having surgery.....and I had just started filling scripts at walgreen's because our town had just got our first store and I quit filling my penecillin there and went back to shopko because walgreen's crap wouldn't work. Since I moved here I filled my scripts at 5he nearest pharmacy which is walgreen's and forgot all about it until recently. My first script for macrobid was actual macrobid, then I started getting the generic and I noticed a big difference and I told the doctor, so keep that in mind? I plan on switching to a hometown pharmacy to find out. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome 🙏

• Posted

hi Belle, i too had an infection (enterococcus faecalis). Took antibiotics after that and tested again after 11 days (sperm examination) which came out to be clean meaning that i would be fine but it left me with something i can describe as abdominal pain or even lower than the abdomen which i speculate must be the bladder. This area under my stomach is swelled and for more than 1.5 - 2 months and the pain doesn't go away. Did you have any symptoms like swelling under the abdomen or so ?

Thanks a lot.

• Posted

I have a very complicated UTI since years now. Like most of you, it started as a "honeymoon cystitis" as they call it but now I dont think it's any more related to just sex. I am resistant to all oral antibiotics except one, but somehow that doesn't clear the infection. So every bout of UTI i get, i have to be put on iv antibiotics. 7 days of iv antibiotics seemed to work.

So I was just managing ok until summer 2020 when i had another bout. A number of oral antibiotics were given by doctor this time, nothing worked so finally had 7 days iv infusion but this time my infection came back just 10 days after completing my iv antibiotics course. This was in october 2020. I was so fed up by now. I had all UTI symptoms - frequency, urge, stinging and burning but no fever so i started living with symptoms and decided against any more antibiotics. The culture was still positive with multi drug resistant bacteria Klebsiella pnemoniae. I continued taking cranberry tablets, D-mannose and Hiprex but nothing seemed to help. I cut down on sugar and tea, i dont drink alcohol neither smoke but nothing seemed to help. Then in December 2020 my infection escalated to kidneys. i became very poorly with very high fever, headache, body ache etc and was admitted in the hospital and once again put on iv antibiotics. This time for 14 days as 7 days hadn't worked last time. i felt better although not 100% but life seemed to be in a bit of a control. Also i would like to mention the horrible thrush i get after getting iv antibiotics is a story for another day. In the meantime my doctor booked me for rigid cystoscopy under general anaesthesia as he would be dilating my urethra and also taking a biopsy of my bladder. The cystoscopy took place 10 days ago. I was given iv antibiotics just before the procedure as a prevention (cystoscopy can trigger a UTI) and also given oral antibiotics to take home for 5 days. Now post procedure my UTI symptoms are back- frequency, urge, stinging and burning sensation and i am back to the square one. The biopsy results are awaited. The bladder tissue culture grew Enterococcus (first time ever since i had UTI) and seems like i will be again put on another bunch of antibiotics. i am so desperate to get better. i am so sick of being sick all the time. Also the urologist said my bladder lining was all red and inflamed but he never said it could be interstitial cystitis because he says we diagnose IC only if we do not find any other cause. In my case they say it's the bacteria but my gut feeling is that it's both IC and bacteria. I have the symptoms even when i am clear of infection so it has to be IC. Any thing that has worked for any one to get relief from the symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.