about to start methotrexate...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Very nervous about this drug... What was it like for you when you first started? How long did side effects last?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

After the horrible effects of RA, methotrexate was not much worse, I experienced nausea, lethargy and pain for a day or two but it got better each time. I found the injections much better. The only problem I have now is hair loss but even that is improving. Its worth it if your symptoms improve. Go with it and try! Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I started on methotrexate 2 weeks ago - had my third weekly dose last night at 12.5mg. Feel like blec with some stomach upset. They say you get used to it. I can understand your feeling nervous about it. I certainly was and still am. My goal is to get off it eventually as I have turned my diet/lifestyle around nearly 100% eliminating alcohol, caffeine (was up to 6 cups a day), avoiding diet soda and wheat and dairy.

I also started taking supplements Theracumin and Lysine. No change in how I feel though.

• Posted

Hi there, I was wondering if you were following any particular diet? Or have you just done your own research and chosen certain things to cut out... I've been looking at anti inflammatory diets, but some I've seen you can't eat anything! Any advice would be great, thanks xx

• Posted

I feel fortunate!  I have a sensitive stomach so went directly to injections.  Started after diagnosis in october and had zero side effects.  I am now up to 20 mg and i cant even tell i am on it.  I have more issues with celebrex and ibuprophen.  Downside is I still have pain..but I am still in the process of figuring this out..I am not sure if mtx is to help the pain or just stop the progression of joint erosion..good luck with your journey and i hope for no side effects!
  • Posted

Thanks! Its good to hear someone else's experience

• Posted

I was the same as you, I was worried about the side effects, but also the fact you shouldn't fall pregnant on it... For me that is life changing! I would advise calling the NRAS (National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society) helpline, they spoke through all my concerns, but also informed me that if I require biologics in the future, the NHS requires you take 2 previous meds and one of these must be Methotrexate.

My worst week was week 3... The side effects are getting easier to live with, my only problem is I don't think it's kicking in yet (I'm on week 5) I'm still getting pain. I had a huge steroid shot 5 weeks ago and as that is wearing off, the pain is coming back!

I hope this helps... Good luck xx

• Posted

I am on MTX injections and take 22.5mg. Its not so bad and i adjusted quite quickly. Are you on other things too? It can take a while to find exact meds and doses which suit you. We all seem so different. I am now on biological drugs which you go to if the others don't work. But it's a bit of a long haul I have found. Steroids can help if the pain gets too much but only as a stop gap. Not good to be on them too long. I made that error.

Sherry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.