RA in the lower spine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I hope you can help please. I am 34 and newly diagnosed with RA. It's come on very rapidly and quite aggressively. My question is has anyone got confirmed RA in their middle lower back? My consultant is amazing and considered sending me for an MRI today but he isn't overly convinced... He said it's possible, but not very likely. My back pain has only started since the RA and I had one occasion which I can only describe as a flare where I was screaming out in pain. It's not at the sides, the pain is right in the joints of the spine near to my waist and moving down... Is this just wear and tear at 34!! Or RA? Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

That sounds pretty horrendous, Hayleymac. I feel for you.

The only answer I can give you is that screaming pain in the lower back is not normal wear and tear.

I have had RA for 11 years and been on several forums. I have never heard of RA in the spine at all, which doesn't mean to say it's not possible.

I know your rheumy will put you through a number of diagnostic numbers and plenty of drugs depending on the MRI results if he has called your RA aggressive.  When the air has cleared, it just occurred to me off the top.... have you heard of cranio-sacral therapy?

It is a relatively new very interesting alternative therapy, apparently still little known in the UK. It works on the brain fluids and the spine.

My hit is it might help you....

Just an idea!

I wish yuou well in your medical adventures. Keep your chin up!

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. Its funny because I have had RA since 2011 and not had back pain but over the last week I have! I suspect that mine is caused because due to RA pain I have not been very active and inactivity can cause backache. But that's just me. I find once I get walking my back eases. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Posted

Hi it has not been confirmed but i as hospitalised five years ago by ambulance with severe back pain same area as you and was passing out with the pain. Two years kater i was diagnosed with RA im sure the RA is in my spine but i manage it with predisone and walking and being careful what i lift. I still get pain and spasms periodically. Hope you can find a way to manage yours 

• Posted

I never had back pain until I was diagnosed with RA.  My rheumie says it has nothing to do with it.  I would love to know if anyone out there has had their rheumie say it is related.
    • Posted

I actually asked my nurse if back pain could be caused by RA and got a definite no. But I don't believe everything doctors tell me! Do you?

• Posted

See?  There are a bunch of us suffering from back pain but they are telling us it isn't RA.  Who knows, all I know is it is painful.

• Posted

Back pain is very, very common and has heaps of causes, very often slipped disc and/or bad posture.

It's very easy to have both RA and back pain with the back pain having nothing to do with the RA.

I admit, I always thanked my stars that the one place RA did not affect me was my back, as I had friends lying on the floor for months with unrelated back pain.

So please don't assume this is RA and consider other options and other solutions.

• Posted

I agree. We tend to assume its RA but I am pleased its not related. I think due to lack of movement due to RA back pain can occur.
  • Posted

Hi. Last July I got diagnosed, I think myself back pain is definitely got something to do with rheumatoid arthritis. For months before every morning, i had sharp pain on the right side, when I woke up. Then I had a major flare up, although am on methotrexate, hydroxycholoquine, tramadol for the pain, soon to start on cimzia. For last few weeks again I am getting up with a bad back. Definitely not the way I sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.