Quetiapine for stabilising moods

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi...

I'm currently on 100mg Quetiapine to see if it helps to stabilise my moods. I became too 'high' after trying SSRIs alone and the Quetiapine has really helped me to overcome this. However I'm now just feeling really quite low and I'm struggling. If I have bipolar depression surely 100mg is too low? I have an appointment but I wanted to chat to people who have been thru it too because I just feel so isolated right now. Any views anyone?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi that should just be a start dose so your Dr will most likely put you once hearing how your feeling . I went up to 300mg .this dose did make me feel alot better .what Ad do you take if you dnt mind me asking.
  • Posted

Hi sapphire.. quetiapine is a popular choice for bipolar but it does take time to work & you may need it increased..  You Dr may introduce another med once they see if quetiapine is stabalizing you..  Im on 150mg Quetiapine XR, 200mg quetiapine, 100mg sodium valproate, 30mg mirtazapine since last November.. Felt low when first taking quetiapine, had no effect at all.  Made it known on my next visit to Dr who upped my meds gradually..  I would be going back to your Dr sapphire..  Meds hold back the severity of bipolar, just wish they found something to cure this damn curse.. Im better than before & its a plus.. Hope you are feeling well soon CHEERS wink

• Posted

The same happened to me, although I am so unhappy off fluoxetine that they said I can go back on it and try 100mg quietapine ontop. Haven't really got any advice though sorry.. Same boat! Fingers crossed for peaceful seas ahead!

• Posted

100 mg sounds like a starter dosage.  With quetiapine, the dosage plan is to gradually increase the dosage till a therapeutic level is reached.  It takes a while for it to kick in, and for many patients this is about 300 mg.  For me, initially it was 700 mg, but that turned out to be way to high.  We shot way  passed my therapeutic level probably because I was in a bad way, and my doctor increased the dosages more rapidly than usual to get me stable.  At 700 mg, I was indeed very stable, but also very much zombified and tired.  We gradually decreased the dosage to 300 mg (100 in morning and 200 at night to keep me sharp during the day, and help me sleep at night.

Eventually I switched to another med because quetiapine caused a ginormous increase in weight (2.1 stone)

Good luck, and remember to never, ever go off your meds, it's never a good idea no matter how well you feel. I've done it twice and it wasn't pretty.   We all need to take our meds for the rest of our lives, just like diabetics taking insulin

• Posted

I take 100mg of quetiapine before bed cause it knocks me to sleep straight away and take 400mg of lamotragine in the morning this has helped stabalise my bi polar but I am going back to see the psychiotrist next week cause I am sometimes feeling low again, 
  • Posted

Hi there all I just wanted to say Thankyou so much for all of your replies I have been feeling so isolated and nobody to talk to because everyone around me Either don't really understand or really get the severity of how I'm feeling or I've upset at some point. Urghhh. I am going back to my Drs to see what I need to do thanks all xxx

• Posted

I,m on 500 mg .....i have more low episodes than highs ....but it also depends on your lifestyle I think ......over the 10 years or so of being diagnosed I now am 90% isolated all the time ......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.