Anti depressant alongside other meds

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but have been struggling with depression for a couple weeks now with suicidal thoughts at times and crying quite a lot and then feeling lost and numb. I had a hypomanic episode a month ago when I dyed my hair but recently my depression came back and I don't know what to do. Would adding a anti depressant to my other meds help?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Harry what meds do u take? I take lithium & venlafaxine for the depression. It stops the crying but feel quite low .. no up & go

• Posted

Hi Sharon I'm on depakote and abilify but they have managed to monitor the highs somewhat with only a few highs but the lows are still happening and at times they are bad so I'm not sure what to do 

• Posted

I think you do need anti depressants I havnt had a high since lithium got in my system ?? life feels so boring..my pdr reckoned u shouldn't have AD with lithium. .it's bull youv got to .. some like us have depression that needs medicating but I think it's cost with the NHS so they also give u the crap meds 1st.. I want to go on citrolpram that's seems a good match bt my pdr says we don't have use of it here..that's a lie too ??

• Posted

Hi Harry, I'm depakote too, have been for 4 years, it's stopped the highs but I have to take antidepressants for the depression. It's stopped bad thoughts but I still have no get up and go. I'm still not motivated

• Posted

Hi Harry, If you think more meds will help, then go for it. But remember they come with some unwanted side affects. You may want see if upping your Abilify is an option? Whats your lifestyle like? Are you a busy person or not so much? Your depression could ease on it's own, but you are better off monitoring it with your Health Professional as you probably know how the grey can quickly turn to pitchblack. Are the suicidal thoughs just glimpses or do you find yourself thinking about them for longer periods and are they messing with your sleep patterns (ie insomnia or nightmares)? Sorry for all the questions. 

• Posted

Im worried about upping the abilify because of side effects i have experienced due to it in the past. I try to keep myself occupied and busy but when I am depressed I tend to want to isolate myself and lose motivation to do anything therefore it makes it worse. As for the suicidal thoughts they are just glimpses right now but in the past I have had many times where I have almost lost control and the thoughts took over.
    • Posted

You may find it helpful to ask your doctor what he can offer, I'm trying hard to think of anything that doesn't take to long to work apart from any benzos, Pregabilin perhaps? As long as you can recognise your thoughts have no place, you will have plenty of time to try different meds to find one that works for you. Keep up with keeping yourself occupied, I understand about not wanting to go out, and you seem to know what happens if you're isolated for to long. If you find yourself not motivated to do anything, try your best to relax or plan what you are going to do once you are motivated. Once again, most antidepressants take a few weeks to work properly so talk to the Dr soon.

• Posted

Depends on the meds you are on ...i,m rapid cycling at the moment ....depression...irrational thoughts and hypo mania all in one day .....i have a CPN and he says I can,t have anti depressant because of the mood stabilizers I,m on ...see your GP
  • Posted

Hi Harry.

i am the worst person at the moment to ask for help, see my posts, but whatever you do, never ever go on venlafaxine. It's good for your mood, but it's hell to get off. 

It will kill you if you want to get off it. I've tried 3 times in the last 5 years and I can't. I would need to be sectioned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.