Chance of heart ablation burning the nodes

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been wanting to join the Army after High School, however I have svt, and it seems the only way to get in is if I get an ablation, however my cardiologist says he thinks it might be close to the node but he's not sure. If I get the ablation, what are the chances of the ablation burning the node and requiring me to get a pacemaker?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Most experienced cardiologists would freeze rather than burn an area too close to the node - apparently this has much less chance of damaging the pacing mechanism of the heart.  Ask your cardiologist about this before making your decision.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks, I'll be sure to bring it up the next time I see him.

• Posted

Hello,

What Mary mentioned is absolutely right.

On a different note, as per my EP Doctor, they will not burn if it is close to the node. Alternative is to take medicine - Dilzem 90/120/240- regularly.

An EP study can exactly determine if there is safe distance from the node to carry out ablation safely.

Wish you good luck and success.

• Posted

Thanks as well, I'll ask my Cardiologist about an EP study when I see him in a month

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.