Lab results/confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis during deployment in may the army doctor in may told me my CCP levels were really high and my rheumatoid factor, then I was referred to a rheumatologIstanbul back in the states she did blood tests and told me the same thing she said my levels were very high, I went to the regular doctor today because I woke up with a swollen hand l, swollen knee, and pain in my toe and jaw, the doctor today asked if I had any blood tests done I said yes and I informed him the rheumy told me my CCP levels were very high etc, he replied "you mean your CRP? I said no she told me CCP levels, he said oh well I'm gonna do some lab tests today and he did some kind of CRP lab tests and said everything looked ok, I'm confused bc there is just no way thato everything was OK considering it was plain sight everything that is swollen, idk what tests CRP is or if it even has anything to do with RA????? Anyone know

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

No offense but the doc you saw today sounds crazy..,,,CCP and RF test indicate RA, CRP is an inflammatory marker in the blood, similar to ESR.i would be tempted to see another doctor your army doctor and rheummy are correct. 
    • Posted

Emily, yes I thought so too!!!! When he was like I think you mean CRP I'm like nooooooo they said CCP and he came back in the room and was like we'll your levels are all normal I said look at my hand and toes that's why I came here there completely swollen! Obviously he did the wrong test oh well, I go back to my rheumy in 5 days

• Posted

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic systemic autoimmune disease that causes inflammation, pain, stiffness, and destructive changes in the hands, feet, and other joints throughout the body. There are a variety of treatments available to minimise the complications of RA, but they depend on making an accurate diagnosis and on beginning treatment before the development of significant joint damage. Rheumatoid factor (RF) has been the main autoantibody test used to help in the diagnosis of RA and distinguish it from other types of arthritis and other inflammatory processes. However, the RF test is not reliable; it can be negative in patients who have clinical signs of RA and positive in patients who do not e.g. in patients with infections, or in the elderly. 

CCP antibodies are much more specific for diagnosis of RA, meaning that if present they are more likely to indicate the presence of RA.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.