Is this fibromyalgia or not?

Posted , 6 users are following.

In 2011 one of the Gp's from my local practice seemed to think I had fibromyalgia. I was constantly tired , had pain all over my body which I described as "like I've got 'flu". I was moving as if I was a 90 year old. I also felt extreme pain at the slightest touch at certain points in my body. I was also very anxious and pretty depressed. I was given several types of medication ( naproxen and gabapentin come to mind) but nothing seemed to make me feel any better , and if anything I felt worse so stopped all medication and eventually after about 8 months the symptoms subsided and eventually disappeared. For the past several months I have again felt extremely tired. Within a couple of hours of getting up I feel exhausted and have to go back to bed. I can barely drag one foot in front of the other on some days. Within the past two or three weeksthe 'flu like aches have started again and although I am slightly more sensitive to pain when touched, it is not too drastic like before. When outdoors I often feel as if I am about to pass out. Last year I spent 10 months recovering from a vestibular ( balance) disorder and now this.The GP has run some blood tests which have all come back normal. Could this be a return of Fibromyalgia and if so, why did it apparently disappear only to return?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi lynniebimbom12! I can totally relate, I started having restless leg syndrome when I was 21 and since I didn't have any other symptoms my doctors didn't think much of it. I am now 28 and as of July 2015 it has came back so much worse with the pain, spasms,headaches and constant fatigue all over my body. I finally got a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, in June this year after many blood test X-rays and mri's.

• Posted

Hey there, I have had symptoms very similar to yours. Fatigue and pain and the inability to even get out of bed some days. I was recently diagnosed with fibro last year. For me, I noticed my symptoms didn't get really bad until I started having some hormonal changes that triggered them. I first had depression all my life. My early teenage years triggered the fatigue and pain along with constant migraines for about a year. The pain in my arms and inability to use them started recently when I started switching around different types of birth control. I noticed that a lot of my symptoms would go away for a long period of time and then be triggered again by a new hormonal change. That could be the reason why your symptoms changed.

• Posted

I'm no expert, just trying to learn as I go but we all experience similar but varying degrees and fibro flares can come and go at weirdest times and some people have days, weeks or months between them. And good days and bad days. You'll have to learn your limits. If I over do it, it may take me 2-3 days to recuperate. Cold, lack of sleep, and stress are my main triggers. Keeping positive is very important but does get tiring:- I have to say no more often, even when I don't want to. It's better than the alternative. You'd have to study bit further to learn more...I've picked up lots just from books, these forums, talking to others and reliable internet health sites.There's a book with lots info to answer questions you've not thought of yet. Building a support network Is harder than you think as people can only try to understand but won't as they've not experienced it. Get a referral to rheumatologist and keep regular visits with your dr. And keep them all informed so that they can keep up with the changes as you change. Be patient with new meds - some can take 2-3 months to work .once something is working best to stick to it or you may cause a ripple affect. Bad fibro flares for me are very uncomfortable and take longer to subside. Meditate and chill when possible...

• Posted

Hi Lynn. As others have said, I'm not an expert, but as I develop new things and as the illness progresses I do try and make connections.

Given that you had a break in symptoms suggests that it may well be that something happened to make that happen. Try and think what you did between being diagnosed with FIbro and your improvement, did you stop doing something, work related, sports, hobbies, drinking,smoking etc. As has also been said, most meds given for Fibro need a good 2/3 months use to see if they are going to have any effect. The evidence for medications being hugely successful in any event in the treatment of Fibro is slim to stay the least and sufferers tend to mange their symtoms as best they can with other methods.

If you google,Expanded list of smptoms for Fibromyalgia, ( I don't believe it's a scientific list, just anecdotal),  you'll be amazed at the huge varients that people can experience with a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.

I would say that anxiety and depression are high on the list for FIbro but that's similar for many long term chronic pain conditions for obvious reasons.Did your GP think your vestibular problem was related to Fibro or something completely unconnected.

Apart from blood tests have you had any sort of x rays,scans etc to rule other things out. Have you had a physical trauma in recent years or psychological trauma in the past. I don't expect you to answer these questions publicly, it'sjust  a way of making you think about anything which has happened in your life, which has been traumatic. The reason I ask is because there's a growing suggestion,  some scientific, some not, that Fibro is the result of trauma, this can be physical or emotional.

There has been a lot of skepticism about Fibromyalgia, medics suggesting "it is all in your head" (although I must say I've never experienced that) but for this to be true it would mean that one day thousands, possibly millions, of totally unrelated and unconnected people, decided to make up a set of symptoms and it just so happened they all chose the same symptoms. I have to say with all the reading up about fibro over the nearly twenty years of having it, there does seem to be a change in the way that medics are trying more to understand it and not simply disregard it out of hand.

It's always good to have knowledge and that's what I would suggest for you Lynn. Read as much as you can, not just about the illness but how people cope with pain etc. At the end of the day it will always be about what works for you is key.

Your questions was "Is this fibromyalgia or not?" well no one here can tell you. Only time will really tell and in the abscence of any other conditions being diagnosed, then that would potentially be the one that may fit. So patience and acceptance (without giving in) is what I'd recommend. I do hope you find some solutions soon. When you're in the first days of this illness everything can seem very bleak and frustrating, but as evidenced by the number of people on the web with the condition, people do get better control of the illness and are able to manage symptoms better, despite here never seeming to be a cure. I would also advise, a really good look at diet which plays a huge part in anyone feeling better or worse. Cutting back on high carb food sand replacing them with whole foods and vegetables whilst drinking plenty, can only be a good thing whatever your condition.

One last thing, if you feel tired, then allow yourself to rest, listen to your body and be very kind to yourself. Gentle exercise as you can tolerate, will help too. You really are not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.