Great news that I want to share.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I joined the forum in January when I was first diagnosed with VA. Since then I have plodded on using the estogen cream as directed and although it helped some I still had some pain and burning on bad days. I am now taking Nortriptyline which is a antidepressant but is also used to treat pain especially nerve pain. After 4 days of taking 20mg the pain had gone which was unbelievable.

I thought I would share with other VA sufferers has it may be an option for you. Maybe you could suggest it to your doctor and give it a go and hope that it helps you as well.

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you had side effects with the Nortriptyline?
    • Posted

Hi im on a lower dose of 10mg but on occasions have taken 20mg with no problems. The only thing that is a bonus is a deeper sleep it doesn't make me drowsy otherwise.

• Posted

Hi

?My mouth is a bit dry. I don't take them at night as they can sometimes make you more alert so don't help with sleep. I take one at breakfast 10mg and another at lunchtime. They have been amazing for me and I can cope with the dry mouth because all my other symptoms have gone.

• Posted

That's interesting they have opposite effects for me. I do take them at night, I wonder if its because it also helps my muscle pain this is why I sometimes take 20mg.

• Posted

Thanks definately calling in the morning to see about it. I haven't slept but a few nights since this started. When I first took the Norco it knocked me out for a whole day ! I can't live like that.

• Posted

yeah a dry mouth sounds like a walk in the park next to a vagina on fire

• Posted

Sorry didn't seethis Nortriptyline is from the same line of drugs but less sedating. I don't know if that means Amytripyline is stronger or not though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.