Stomach/digestive issues after gallbladder surgery?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Guys I really would appreciate all the info and advice you might have. I got my gallbladder removed on August 5th and during the week of my recovery or two, I felt alright. I think perhaps around the third week I started feeling sick after I ate and this full and pressure feeling in my stomach after I ate the smallest thing. Also felt nausea again. I'm so angry, I thought this surgery was suppose to fix all my problems sad. Anyway, I seem to be having digestive isuws. I would like to be able to eat a normal meal without feeling sick after for hours or so bloated and full like I ate five meals. I even hate eating now. I keep loosing weight and its me good, I'm currently underweight and I'm 25 years old and about 5'6. I weigh 90 pounds sad. This is scaring me and I don't feel good or like myself. Any suggestions if I need probiotics or enzymes maybe? Anything i would appreciate please I feel like I'm going to feel like this forever and end up dying or something. Just wanna be healthy again, these issues are making me feel depressed and anxious.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ask primary or GI for a gastric emptying test. This tests will show if your stomach is emptying properly.
    • Posted

I've had so many tests and I'm honestly so tired of them. This would be to see if I have gastroparesis correct? I did happen to mention to him before but he said he didn't think that was the case.

• Posted

I'm sure you probably had antibiotics during the surgery. Anytime you take antibiotics I highly recommend taking probiotics to get your stomach flora back to good or else bad bacteria such as yeast can overgrow. I had my gallbladder out 2 weeks ago and I've been taking probiotics and a multivitamin everyday. I feel amazing.

• Posted

I had no antibiotics just regular pain medication but I'm so tired of feeling like this! Which probiotics do you take and is it a regular multivitamin? How should I take probiotics when I get them, one before every meal?

• Posted

Dear deesan.  It takes a while to settle.  Unless you feel symptoms are serious, in that case go to GP, I would be patient.  Can take 6mnths plus in my experience to settle. [ from any op.even though they dont say this.]
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply. Have you gotten your gallbladder out and has it taken you 6 months plus to feel normal and eat properly? My concern is why I feel nauseous and full/pressure in my stomach. It makes me not eat much. Wondering if I have less bile now that my liver produces and if I might need digestive enzymes and probiotics to help. Just don't want to feel like this forever, it scares me 😞

• Posted

Please see your GP.  Stomach does take time to settle.  It's a big change to your system.  Probiotics are the big thing now.  Get them naturally;  Kimchi,yoghurt,sauerkraut even olives,cider vinegar etc etc.

• Posted

Any kind of yogurt or plain yogurt? Do all yogurts have probiotics or is r a specific one?
  • Posted

Sir I had my gallbladder removal surgery in August. I was fine after that but from last 1 month ..am feeling severe pain in the right side of stomach. Sometimes it comes to back or above chest. Sir please guide me ..what is this
    • Posted

Please go to a gastroenterologist with your concerns and make sure you have the medical care you might need.
  • Posted

Hey, I got my gallbladder out 2 months ago. The only symptoms I had before surgery was nausea consistently for 2 months. I felt fine for the first 2 weeks after surgery but now it’s all back. I’m not nauseas as often, but occasionally I have nights where my stomach hurts so bad that I’m nausea and only gagging. I’m afraid to eat, I’ve lost so much weight. I just had my blood taken and everything came back normal so I have no idea what’s going on! I know this thread is 2 years ago but it sounds the most similar to my experience. Please tel me this goes away soon! 
  • Posted

U had my gallbladder taken out 3 years ago and it has been terrible ever since. I wish I would have never had it done! Doctor told me I needed it taken out because I had a polyp in it. I trusted the doctor she said i would be able to eat everything by normally ate! I can hardly eat anything, booked for grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes (baked), asparagus (steamed), bananas, almond milk, eggs. I have become allergic to grains and milk. I have become allergic to several medications. I have acid reflux now and I had gastritis, and comes and go if I try to eat something different. I get terribly bloated and burp a lot and also get constipated. I feel worse than I ever felt with that polyp in me gallbladder, terrible and depressed. I spoke with the doctors office who did the surgery and they said she only takes them out, she had no advice for me. I have been to several GO doctors, they told me to take PPI, which I tried but did not help. Also have been told I have slow motility (gastroparesis) now, have not been able to get help for any of these problems caused by having gallbladder removed. I r you're thinking about having your gallbladder taken out get a second even a third opinion. I wouldn't do it again unless I was dying! Which is what it feels like now! Guess most people are ok after gallbladder surgery, too bad no one cares about the rest of us that are not!

• Posted

Sorry should be I, not U.
    • Posted

I am sorry you're experiencing so much difficulty.  Your message wasn't clear about whether you had gone to see gastroenterologists or to gps about your ongoing problems. 

If a diseased gallbladder is left in the body it doesn't get better. It can negatively affect your other organs, including the pancreas and liver.  It can even become cancerous.  That's why they're removed. It's too bad that your diet is limited, and that you are experiencing so many problems. xx     

• Posted

I just want someone to say that it gets better sad 
    • Posted

Sometimes it does get better over time.  But it's best to deal with the situation you have now, especially accepting it.  Not accepting it stresses you out and inflicts unnecessary stress on your body as well.  It has been proven that your gut reacts negatively to too much stress.  So, it becomes a vicious cycle. 

One thing you might consider is that there are others who are much worse off than you are. Feeling as you do, and going through what you are, it might seem impossible to do that.  But, it's up to you.  

I suggest you try the gallbladder diet that's on this site at first, and eat small, frequent meals, instead of 3 a day.  You post said that you're 2 months out from surgery.  This is major surgery and it takes the body a long time to heal itself and adjust.  How long depends on your body--some folks can take up to a year, and, unfortunately, some folks never do.

If things don't improve by 6 months out, then get a referral to a gastroenterologist. A gastroenterologist would be a better doctor to help you.

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post op and I have trapped wind. Is it normal? It is preventing me from eating normal. I am weak, lightheaded too. It is horrendous.
    • Posted

I said I had my gallbladder take out 3 years ago. It isn't getting better only worse each day.  Things I could eat a year ago I can't eat any more, such as gluten products. 

I have been to 3 different GI doctors. Went to a major hospital in US to see GI doctor they just put me on PPIs which did not help, with help of nutritionist I was able to get off them. Use DGL For my acid reflux, which I didn't have until they took my gallbladder out. Went to local GI, she said I had gastroparesis, with 2 hour test. Went to GI doctor in Indy they did test and said my stomach doesn't expand and is slow moving. But I didn't have gastroparesis. But offered little help, mostly just listen and took notes.

• Posted

Did you have normal bowel movement after the surgery? What were your symptoms?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.