Sudden nystagmus and vertigo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, dear people.

I am writing this post as I am very nervous about this health issue I've gained recently. It really worries me and I can't fall asleep, thinking that it might be something serious.

So, today my fiance called and told me that she got into a car crash. I felt how my heart started beating extremely fast, really hard. I dont think my heart was beating this strongly/rapidly ever in my life.. so after the call i tried to calm down, ate something and when heart stopped beating, I lied down. When I lied down I noticed that my head was feeling really dizzy and my vision seemed strange. After a few minutes this feeling disappeared, but when I stood up, i felt real dizzy again.. it felt like i was spinning around myself and stopped. After a few minutes it disappeared. I lied down again and my head started spinning again, but this time I could also feel nystagmus. Basically any head movement (looking up/down for a while, or standing/laying down) provokes vertigo and sometimes nystagmus. This never happened before and I am quite scared... i have also developed some really weird headaches, which last for a second or so, they are not very strong, but they are annoying and they make me really worried...

some other info which might be useful:

I am 21, male. I was diagnosed with bronchopneumonia two weeks ago. I took cefuroxin for a week and a half, then I ran out of it, used amoxycilin for two days and today is the first day I am not taking any antibiotics. I am seeing my GP on friday to see how's my bronchopneumonia.

Ever since my bronchopneumonia/colds started, my both ears felt a bit weird.. i feel like its a little hard to hear everything, like there was some water in my ears, but i got used to that and i learned to ignore it. I dont know if all of this is associated..

please, can you at least guess what might be wrong? I am very worried, afraid of a stroke or something like that... i cant fall asleep, even though its 4:40 am... should i wait for friday to see my doc, or should I take more serious actions? Any help appreciated!

Thank you very much!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi very sorry for what happened, My gut says its 99% stress related, I'm 75 once I opened my mail box, and got some very bad news, the road was spinning on me, almost fell, had to sit on the ground I wish you good luck, try to relax, bet you will feel better, I know bad news is stress, I have it now fighting with my insurance co over mold in my house, room will spin, but I know what's causing it.

Gary

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, Gary! I really appreciate that! I would be really glad that it would be caused by stress, but what makes me worry, that it's been 12 hours and I still feel this way... It makes me worried. But I really do hope that this is just stress... thank you for your positive opinion!

• Posted

P.S. its been 12 hours since my symptoms began. They're still happening...

• Posted

It could most certainly be anxiety (almost sounds like a panic attack thrown in there too). That said, meds can also cause all of this and at this point they are still in your system. Try not to worry about it and talk with your doc at the next check up.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your response! Well, I've had a panic attack once, but It was different: I was gasping for air and now my breathing is completely normal, which is why i am not thinking its a panic attack. But id love to know that the only thing in this situation is stress. Thanks again!

• Posted

Hi

My father was diagnosed with Virtigo, then told he had a pool of fluid at the base of his skull, which was drained and was placed on tablets for this because he had several editors attacks after the surgery. Don't allow it to control your life! He only had about three attacks, after but the fear controlled him more the anything.

He lived to be 86 , died in early 2014 and to be honest except for that problem he lived a very healthy life.

It is now come to the attention that a younger member of the family had been diagnosed with "Vagal Response"

which is passing out due to a stressful or frightening situation.

Looking back on my father, he would pass out at the sight of blood or at least drop to his knees if had bad news.

I just wondered if there was any connection?

It does not sound like a panic attack, but bad news can cause a person to go into shock. Maybe the brain handles it in different ways.

Darlene

• Posted

I think this could be essentially two issues. The first with the heart racing etc  was anxiety and panic following the news of the car crash. The second as you describe with head position changes and recent health issues affecting your ears. This could be labyrthinitis or BBPV benign (harmless) paroxysmal positional vertigo caused by a temporary problem in the inner ear. (You can Google these for more info), I think you should see your Dr and they can assess you properly & get the appropriate treatment. I don't think it is likely to be anything serious, so try not to worry and think the worst. I know it's an awful and scary feeling, I have had this many times myself. Good luck and please keep us updated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.