chronic fatigue syndrome

Posted , 11 users are following.

Can chronic fatigue syndrome cause mental problems. My memory is bad I just cant seem to think straight, the brain fog came on literally overnight and I'm stiff as a board I just don't feel right at all and its so so difficult to describe the illness I have,I've always been healthy and fit and now I feel knacker shooting pain and stiffness all over and bed by 9:00pm am 38 going on 98 what's going on love for some advice. Thanks in advance for any response

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, brain fog is what its generally called and it can be very frustrating. My memory is awful and conversations are often tiring just due to the amount of thinking involved. Any GP who says its just depression is talking nonsense. There's plenty of information online about CFS and brain fog which may help. No easy cure for it though, just resting and not pushing yourself, same as for the physical symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Danny...Yes, absolutely it does cause cognitive problems. I have had ME for over 30 years...only diagnosed for last ten however. I am currently managing to maintain a part time job with lots of grandchildren care simply by pacing. 3 years ago tho, following a bout of swine flu...my ME came back with a vengeance and I was out of it for 18 mths.  During that time (and thro my previous bad bouts over the years) it was as tho I had dementia symptons...(I work on a dementia ward, so that was scary!).  Firstly, the brain fog you describe, where it seems as tho life is passing you by and you don't feel part of any of it, but more seriously are the glitches I get when my memory completely goes blank.  I will give you examples and wonder if other people have similar?

one day I decided I would force myself to put the Hoover round, I got it out and went to turn it on....and just stared. I truly had no idea how the darn thing worked. After a few more minutes of this, I was in tears....how many times in my 60 years have I hoovered after all?!  

Another time, feeling a little better I thought I would make an apple crumble with some apples we had been given. I went into the kitchen and told myself to get out the bowls etc then stopped...what bowls wld I need, What WAS an apple crumble?? I truly had no idea and despite forcing myself to think, I just couldn't reach the answer.

These two things in particular were frightening, it is exactly how people with dementia feel...ie they go to make a cup of tea and have no idea how to go about it.   The thing us, we know why they have this deficit..be it thro a stroke, damage etc but Why with ME?   The best bit of course  is that this state was only temporary while I was still feeling sooo fatigued that I just wanted to mould  myself to the floor/high street/ car park because even the hairs on my arms felt too heavy for me to support....as soon as I started to come out of that bad phase, my memory improved.

I am constantly looking at studies and materials to explain cognitive deficits in ME,but haven't really found my answer! 

• Posted

Hi libby,

You asked why with ME? Basically the body goes into hibernation mode (new research) and all non essential functioning Is compromised.

I'm amazed you can work and in such a demanding job. It's such an individual condition symptoms wise in relation to intensity and duration.

Beverley

• Posted

Yes I have had this kind of thing happen to me Libby it sends me straight into a panic attack as I'm left thinking I'm dying with dementia, I went to do the washing up and ran the bowl with hot water and fairy and then I was just stood looking at it like what do I do now, it was the most heart sinking moment of my life, the utter feeling of dred was so scary, it seemed like I was lost for ages but it was probably just a few seconds, but then you have a prolonged fear of when might this happen again to the point I have actually wrote my address down in my wallet that's how scared I've been. But then I got to thinking it might be CFS as i have been so so fatigued but coming on here has made me realize it could be worse as I have been able to keep doing my job so far which is quite physical thanks for your help

• Posted

Libby,

You just made me realize that this hasn't been happening to me anymore, but oh how it use to scare me to death!  Like others I feared that I might be developing Alzheimers.  I remember standing in front of our refrigerater's ice maker and not being able to remember how to make it work.  It's something that is stored in my motor memory, that I normally do and don't think about.  I suspect that this was happening to me at a less healthy point in my journey.

• Posted

Hi Beverley, thank you for that, may I ask if you have ME too? During my last phase I had some private bloods taken and sent to a bio lab....the results were very interesting, but my GP just brushed them aside! Are you a medic or have you just done a lot of research?

I am surprised I can still work as well! One days shift does take me another two to get over. Unfortunately I am one of the casualties of the new pension rules, instead of retiring last year at 60 I have another 5 years to go! No chance of doing another 5, but bit annoying that I won't get my pension payments til 66. So, while I can, I shall continue to work 1-2 shifts a week.

thanks again, pls feel free to share any more nuggets of info you have! Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Do you know, I replied to this 2 days ago and it's disappeared! Oh well, I have cfs/me and aren't medical just curious about modern research for our condition. My own journey was via a car crash and I had ptsd symptoms so didn't realize for ages I had cfs/me. Felt the same since the day it all happened. It's a very interesting condition even though it's absolutely awful to live with! the body's protection system working on over drive. How did you get ME? Did you have a trigger too? Much respect for working with it.

Beverley

• Posted

Danny, I'm sure most of us don't have cognitive symptoms as severe as Libby's so try not to worry too much. In fact we can improve our symptoms with diet, herbs and certain supplements. 

I used to walk into rooms and forget what I went in for and find myself staring into space quite often but it rarely occurs now unless I allow myself to get too fatigued. There's hope and some people get better with diet etc, I know a few who did.

• Posted

Brain Fog is one of the main symptoms of CFS.  I keep saying that I hope someday I get my brain back!  You are not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.