side effects of Gabapentin?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was put on 300 mg of Gabapentin TID yesterday. I'm a clinical research coordinator who mostly deals with patients with diabetic eye disease. A large amount of my patients take this for diabetic neuropathy and I knew from hearing their complaints that this medication can cause extreme drowsiness. I decided it was best to take it at night for the first time. The drowsiness was noticeable, but I also experienced a burning sensation in my hands,fingers and feet to the point that it felt like I was on fire inside. Also, a very rapid heart rate that made me very uncomfortable. I'd been sitting for about two hours and checked my pulse to find it was 106 BPM. I also found that the numbness(all over) I was experiencing that led my neurologist to prescribe this was worse this morning. All of this is extremely concerning, and I haven't taken it again, but I was curious to know if anyone else has had this problem. Also, has anyone experienced a significant amount of weight gain? I know this is termed as a "weight-neutral" drug, but I've seen feedback on forums that say other wise. I also understand that this drug is known to cause fluid retention, which could lead to weight gain but I don't believe that would be very significant. Any feedback if greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Kristinrenee...

I was on 600mg of Gabapentin TID for 4 months before stopping it cold turkey.  I've documented the experiences I had in getting off of the stuff if you care to take a look; but, I can assure you this:  My experience has convinced me that Gabapentin is not for everyone; and, it's pure misery getting off of the stuff.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.