Swelling

Posted , 8 users are following.

Tell me how did your entire leg swell after your TKR. And when did the numbness stop. I had a partial knee fon on 7/27/16. I dont remember having numbness in the whole leg or swelling all the way down to my foot. I just had the revision done in 10/25/16 and my entire leg is numb and swollen.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Swelling and numbness should be expected. I am currently 7 weeks 9/13 from my TKR and the leg gradually became black and blue. My leg looked its'  normal color at 4 weeks. However the numbness is another story.the left side of my operated legs  left knee remains fairy numb. so is my shin. I have also developed neuropathy in both feet since the operation. Not sure why, but tomorrow I am getting blood work (  to check sugar  and  b12 levels. That will be the start. The neuropathy feels like I have stuffed socks in the balls of my feet and that there is sand between my toes. . At times they are painful. Didn't expect this too. 

• Posted

Me neither - didn't expect this.

I have developed neuropathy in both feet and still have numbness at the side of the operated knee. Also being woken constantly with pain in my knee.

I had mine done on 13/02/16

My health has really deteriorated- some days I think I'm either going to have a heart attack or fall under a bus.

What I can't understand is the lack of information regarding these TKR

For some reason I thought I'd be fine in six weeks

• Posted

Mary you took the words out of my mouth I also thought things would be looking up in 6weeks I thought I would be off my crutches walking fine but am still on my crutches bearing weight but still can not bend my leg my knee is ever so swollen numb on one side and feels like I have a metal clamp stopping movement to my knee it wont bend past 30-40 degrees I was bed bound 2weeks post op couldn't bear weight at all my leg was totally dead basically I got told wrong info leaving the Hostpital I was on morphine and wasn't in my right mind when I got told what to do at home I'm 27 live alone and had no help off anybody I don't have home help or anything I am struggling so bad didn't think it was going to be like this house bound now for 7weeks only go out when I have pt sessions hope all goes well with u xx

• Posted

Hi natalie1989.

I would definitely recommend you have a support system. I tried to heal from the first one on my own and ending up leaving the state I was living in to go back to my parents because it was just to hard to do it alone.

• Posted

After my TKR 3+ weeks ago my leg is significantly swollen from above the knee to my foot. Each day I'm walking is improving - often without a crutch around the house but not ventured out except by car and wheelchair. I just get so exhausted but I'm told it's early days.

• Posted

I have not had a TKR but a Trochleoplasty operation on my left knee basically had a groove made do my knee cap can sit stable instead of popping out of place, my op was 21/9/16 6wks yesterday! And my whole knee was numb for about 3weeks swollen heavy and stiff, now the numbness is only on the left side of my operated knee just knee my knee cap every were else isn't numb so that think in time the numbness will disappear hopefully, but is am still experiencing stiffness and swollenness within my knee mine wont bend past 30-40 degrees its like something in my knee or on the back of my leg is stopping the movement I didn't realise the recovery was so slow days I wish I wouldn't of got it done but is am 27 and things would of only got worse let me know how you get on 😊

• Posted

Hi

The numbness is due to the nerves being cut in the operation i am told this can last a long time while the nerves are trying to knit i think this is the case in all tkr ops.

• Posted

Hi Youngknee

You need to lay down with a pillow under your head and a stack of pillows under your leg and pack your knee in ice for at least an hour.

Numbness means the swelling is interrupting your nervous system ..not good.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Hi youngknee my daughter had a trochleoplasty along with maple reconstruction and an osteotomy 15 months ago for what the dr said is the worst type of dyalpasia you can have. She still has complete numbness all the way down her shin which we have been told is not uncommon and she may never regain the feeling. Trochleoplasty is huge surgery which requires a very long time to heal from, we were told 2 years because she had all this surgery at the same time. Her quads are not working at all which is another problem we have encountered but her knee has been dislocating since the age of 8 and now at 18 she finally has her life back. I hope you are recovering well

Sheena

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.