Wearing a knee brace......or get an high tibial osteotomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys.

I hope some of you can shine some light on this for me please.

I'm 37 years old male,i'm bow legged and with osteoarthritis. I had a ACL reconstruction on my right knee 16 years ago.Since then I've had 3 arthroscopy......which I had my last one on wednesday,were I had a bucket handle tear in my meniscus.After the operation the consultant told me that my articular cartilage had worn away,and that i had bone on bone.

He mentioned getting a high tibial osteotomy,or even wearing a knee brace.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me please.

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes I agree it does sound like a Total Knee replacement, but due to your age (37) I think the doctor would be a bit cautious about doing that as they only last for about 15 years, he would probably stall you for as long as possible
    • Posted

I agree with you 2.

He's given me 2 options.To wear a knee brace to help me carry on with day to day stuff.....or the other option is to give me an osteotomy.Which will add around 7-10 years before getting a TKR.But i want some advice on these braces first

• Posted

7-10 Years before getting a TKR sounds a long time, considering a TKR only lasts about 15years, what is an osteotomy? I dont know any thing about knee braces sorry
    • Posted

I'm bow legged aswell...so a lot of my weight is on my medial side of the knee.....that's were my meniscus has worn away.So to get my weight evenly distributed on my knee,they'll have to take a piece of wedge out of my tibia to straighten my leg.

Sound a bit brutal

• Posted

I would consider getting another opinion about that! Maybe a TKR would be a better option sad

• Posted

My daughter had an osteotomy done last year, it was 1 of 3 surgeries performed at the same time of which this was the smallest surgery, the only thing I will say is that for her getting this done was the best thing as she is only 17 years old but the downside is she has lost some of the feeling in her shin bone but it doesn't affect her any

Sheena 😀

• Posted

Hi  Sheena

Many thanks for your comment.

Really sorry for the late reply,

haven't logged on for a while.

Hope your daughters doing well.

I had a consultation on Friday,and I'm going ahead with the osteotomy next January.

Just wanted to say thanks.

Ger

• Posted

3 weeks ago I had a high tibial Osteotomy. It's been a rough recovery but I am at 50% wb with crutches. I also had a lateral release, MCL reconstructed from hamstring graft and pinned my MCL to femur due to an avulsion fracture where my MCL pulled away from my femur taking a large piece of cartilage and bone with it.

As you can see I messed it up bad. I am 31yrs old and a mom of 3, surgery was a must. I suffered from an old dislocation injury from highschool. It came back to haunt me happening twice in one night. Worst pain in the world.

I am surviving. If you do opt surgery. Plan on fairly long recovery. I had a horrible amount if swelling and bruising. You will be sitting with it iced and elevated for 3-4wks. Get good pain meds. Vicodin wouldn't touch the pain. I took 2 Percocet. I am glad I did it but I'm in pain still but hoping it will gradually get better. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I had an HTO when I was 40 years old and let me tell you that sucked!!!

I have a very high pain tolerance and that hurt like heck. Also 12 weeks non weight bearing is not fun either. I am scheduled to have a total knee replacement next week and I can hardly wait because the HTO only lasted for me 5 years. The Dr. who did my HTO told me I was too young for a TKR so I did HTO, But my new Dr. who is doing my TKR said he would have done a partial knee replacement instead of HTO and that it would have lasted me until I was well into my 60's. 

Good luck with whatever you decide I truly feel your pain.

• Posted

Hi

Sorry for the late reply.i haven't looked at these msgs for a long time.

Thanks for ur comment.how did your TKR go?Ive decided for the HTO,and I'm going ahead with it on the 11th of January next year.

But reading ur comment has made me think 😕.

But I'm really lucky with my consultant.....he's really at the top of his profession.

X fingers 😁

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.