Discouaged

Posted , 9 users are following.

Ok guys and gals I'm 11 weeks post op on surgery of tkr and 5 weeks po from MUA because I wasn't getting range or straightening. I am still only at 100 bend at best and my straightening goes from -10 to -15. Never consistent and is not any better since THE MUA. My surgeon gives me two more weeks or its another MUA or going in to scrape because it's arthofibrosis. Which I've read may never change. I don't want anymore surgery. I moved better and had less pain before surgery. I wanted to stand up straight again after a not so helpful arthroscopic 4 years ago. This new knee has not helped. I started massage therapy for it last week hoping that along with physical therapy would get me better numbers. Anyone else had to deal with arthofibrosis and have not one, but two MUAs?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had one MUA, which got me from 104 to 124 flexion. I can feel the arthrofibrosis at work so I really have to work hard to keep tearing it down. Seeing a massage therapist soon to see if she can help break up the scar tissue, and going into PT this week to get another measurement to see if I'm regressing. My body seems to produce the scar tissue real fast though. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks. I go for my 2nd massage therapy tomorrow. I felt a different immediately after last time, but it seemed to last a day and stiffened up again. Always a battle.
  • Posted

Oh how unlucky, do hope things soon improve for you.

some peopke say best thing they ever did, some wish they never had it at all.

iam some where in the middle, my brother had the TKR last week, in a dreadful lot if pain from epidural rea, and feels sick every single time he moves.

• Posted

Hi

I was around 10 weeks for straightening and the bend is still improving at 18 weeks

I was only around 95 degrees at 10 weeks

• Posted

My surgeon mentioned Arthofibrosis to me also which as scared me because my knee bend is at 50 degrees and should be at 90-120 by now I am 8 week post op. And had a trochleoplasty on my left knee open surgery to make my knee stable
    • Posted

Hi Natalie my daughter was only 17 when she had a trochleoplasty as well as mfpl reconstruction and an osteotomy, she is now 14 months down the line and still recovering. At 8 weeks post op she had no bend so you are doing better than she was. She now has almost full bend but her quads have stopped working. Saying that dr says she is doing wonderful don't be disheartened it will come with lots of work

Sheena

• Posted

Angel,Please excuse my ignorance here.  But I am a  rather new member.  Can  you please explain what  MUA is for  me ?  I can relate to not wanting more surgery even after having just my arthroscopy . I have seen very little improvement  in amount of pain & movement 7 months down the track !  Only positive for me is  I am not longer on a  walking frame but  just a walking stick but I can't walk much at  all.

• Posted

Manipulation Under Anesthesia

less painful than if the scar tissue was broken loose during an office visit...I did not need a MUA for my THR nor my TKR nor for TWR nor for MCPRs but I think I am going to need a MUA for my TER that is 12 weeks Tuesday.

So, what does a MUA feel like when you wake up afterwards? Do you have to manipulate it yourself afterwards?

Thank you

• Posted

I was hurting pretty bad when I woke up from the manipulation but they gave me fentanyl and I was ok. They put a nerve block going into my groin to stop the pain in the knee for a few days. But my quads and other muscles were sore, but it wasn't brutal like I thought it would be.

• Posted

I had 2 MUAs. Bend was always good but straightening never got better than 10 degrees. I finally went bandy 14 months post op and surgeon suggested another MUA. I said "no way I want a second opinion". This revealed the whole knee had shifted and done quite a lot of damage to my femur and I had a complete revision September 2015. Knee still doesn't work properly, but the alternative was for the whole knee to be fused. Now able to walk without a limp and very little pain. Knee doesn't bend more than 90 degrees or straighten more than 5. I'd recommend you have a second opinion before accepting another MUA.  Sorry I can't be more positive 😔

• Posted

I am so sorry for your horrendous experience....big warm hug

This is a sad example of why we need to thoroughly research our surgeons and why this forum has such value.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.