acid reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone 

Would be grateful for any advice please. I have had acid reflux really bad now for about 6 months have tried lanzarapole ranitidine 300 mg at bed time and still no joy there is a constant pain in my diaphram just below my ribs , also i have been spitting up blood for six months every morning , have had a chest ray which was all clear , i was wondering if the blood was coming from my stomach , i was wondering any other medications i should try apart from the obvious Gaviscon and all the other over the counter medicines , i am waiting for a hospital appoitment to have a camera down into my stomach but it could take 18 weeks with the Nhs waiting list i have heard about the nexium tablets which you can buy but was wondering if you could take 2 a day as there 20mg . At presnt i am taking 30mg of lanzarapole and 300 mg of rantitidine at night but its not helping cheers everyone 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I was diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus in August 2013 and have been on 40mg of Esomeprazole since!

• Posted

Hi Rob 

when would be the best time to take them if i am buying them in 20mg so would be taken 2 a day which would be 40mg in total cheers Rob

• Posted

Hi Mark I was diagnosed with Barretts Oesophagus in august 2013 - I've been on 40mg of esomeprazole since!

• Posted

Do you have any sides? I'm alson on pantoprazole 20mg daily in the morning == esomeprazole 20mg

• Posted

Hi 

I have been on lansprozole started on 30 in morning and 30 at night did not do good  though  . Went onto 300 ranidtine at night that helped for the first week but takes a few hours to get into system thankfully no sleepless nights was hoping to go onto nexium 20 mg two a day even though there expensive , i don't mind buying them as the lansprozole seems to be a cheap drug 

• Posted

I had and still have success with pantoprazole 20 or 40 mg in the morning daily. I've had no side effects so far (6 years on them, 2years daily). They are said to cause the least side effects from all the other prazoles. You could try them if you haven't yet.

• Posted

Hi Mark,

Blood could well be from oesophagitis. Reducing the acid will let that heal which can take a couple of weeks.

The best acid suppressants are Proton Pump Inhibitors. There are a number and are as effective as each other when taken in equivalent dose. (See attached graphic.) Nexium (esomeprazole) has been shown in a number of research trials to be no mre effective than the cheaper omeprazole or lansoprazole. (Apart from some trilas sponsored by the manufacturers, Astra Zeneca where they trialled doube strength Nexium against single strength other PPIs.)

Normal maintenance dose of lansoprazole is 30mg daily. If you have oesophagitis to heal, you can safely double up for a few weeks.

Best time to take it is half an hour before breakfast and take it every day. Ranitidine at night can still help and Gaviscon as and when necessary.

• Posted

cheers Barrets

i think you have hit the nail on the head on where the blood is coming from the doctors thought it could be coming from my nose and gave me antiobotics which did not clear i have had a chest x ray to rule out blood from the lungs its not constant blood becuase when i spit after some blood it could be clear white do you think its safe to take the two nexiums a day i did buy them and they were £7.00 for seven tablets but i do not mind paying just to get some help , the lansoprazole have not done much good and the ranitdine 300 at night take a while to kick in and i am still waking up in the morning with pain around the valve just under the rib cage , is there anything else you would try i have tried Honey and is there things to avaoid i have kicked tomatoes and onions into touch as well as fizzy drinks and i dont' drink lager anymore . Tbe be fair i have over done it over the years i am 47 although not smoked was eating fatty foods at night a long with beer and then going to sleep soon after and that pattern went on for several years , so i guess i am paying back for torturing my stomach . Cheers again Barrets you have been very helpful . Mark 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.