4 days post op.

Posted , 10 users are following.

4 days post op. Came home 2 days ago on the enhanced recovery prog. Feeling like I've been hit by a truck. Spending most of my time alternating from resting in bed to getting up, doing my exercises and walking around my bungalow. All of this I can manage. My problem is I feel sick so am off my food. Had anti sickness tablets whilst in hospital. But they didn't give me any to bring home. Anyone else had this problem? I'm in the uk so if anyone could recommend an over the counter med I could buy to help with this prob, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi joy

I had Metoclopride anti sickness tablets which really worked see your gp for a prescription. I'm day 8 post op and just on paracetamol now which is great but having trouble sleeping on my back are you?

Xx

• Posted

Hi Detty

My GP has given me some anti sickness pills that are working fine. Havnt taken any today as I don't feel sicky. I'm 6 days post op now and I'm taking my paracetamol and having Codene if needed. I'm finding it really difficult sleeping on my back. I prop pillows up to make a support and try to sleep in a semi sitting up position. Not great but I do manage to get a couple of hours. My biggest problem at the moment is swelling. My leg from hip to knee isn't too bad today but from my knee almost to my ankle is terrible. I am resting and elevating it but it feels so tight. No great pain and it doesn't feel hot to the touch so I'm not concerned about a DVT. I keep putting an ice pack on it and that does help a bit.i wonder if anyone has any good ideas about how to deal with the swelling? Are you in the Uk? Joy.x

• Posted

Really glad you're not so sick. Yes, sleeping on your back is rubbish, but it does get gradually better. Swelling completely normal. Moving around is good, but also rest and put up your feet when you can, and put a cold pack on the swollen bits. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes joy in the uk

Morning been awake since 2am this sleeping/not sleeping is rubbish but what can you do 😊 I had swelling on my knee was massive best advice is to lay flat and elevate your leg and ice pack, mine did go down but now have a cankle! It's early days for us but we can we do it just remember the grinding of bone on bone and now that's gone 😊 Night xx

• Posted

Welcome to Post THR world, are you taking oxycodine or endone, or morphine, they will  make you feel sick, and also probably make you horribly constipated. I was soo sick on Morphine in the hospital they couldn't discharge me on day two, after warning them morphine made me sick from previous experience. You have been hit by a truck I'm afraid, but every day you get just a little better, my lovely 80 yr old uncle, double THR, told me about 2% a day, but after a week looking back you will notice the difference, and all that horrible bone on bone pain has gone. Keep drinking water, juice, I could only eat omelets for about a week after my surgery, but what you need are calcium for bone building, (milk cheese), protein for building muscle and red blood cells, (red meat, eggs, fish) even if only a mouthful, very frustrating for the cook I'm afraid, husband prepared food for me and still says he ate most of my meals, having family to help a big aid at this stage. Rest and recover form a fellow THR. both hips in my case, just like uncles, family curse, this arthritis, brother having double knee in jan 2017.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.