4 days post op.

Posted , 10 users are following.

4 days post op. Came home 2 days ago on the enhanced recovery prog. Feeling like I've been hit by a truck. Spending most of my time alternating from resting in bed to getting up, doing my exercises and walking around my bungalow. All of this I can manage. My problem is I feel sick so am off my food. Had anti sickness tablets whilst in hospital. But they didn't give me any to bring home. Anyone else had this problem? I'm in the uk so if anyone could recommend an over the counter med I could buy to help with this prob, it would be much appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi joy,  welcome home, darling ... what you feel is normal ... good job getting up and walk around a bit ..So sorry that you are not feeling well - is it because of the medication? I am not in the UK so can't recommend anti-sickness pills ... Just take it easy and be very gentle with yourself ... big warm hugrenee

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I'm not sure if it's the pain meds or not. But I've just rung my doctors to see what can be done. 

• Posted

Hello Joy and congratulations on your op ..sounds like you are doing just fine for 4 days post op ..don't do too much ..

Perhaps if you give your gp a call ,a prescription for some ant sickness med could be prescribed ..

i think most of us felt nauseous for a few days ,I'm still not great first thing in the morning and usually just have tea with some digestive biccs..feel more up to eating by lunchtime..please take care and use this site as it's got great info on it ..gx 

• Posted

Hi Gail. 

Rang my GP who has sorted a prescription for some anti sickness pills. 

Thanks for your response....Joy.x

• Posted

Hi Joy.  Things really will get much metter, I promise.  I am 10 weeks post op, returned to the office at 7 weeks and am walking with no walking aids whatever.  We all recover at different time scales though, and you will recover at your own pace.  It's not a competition.  Regarding anti sickness medication, it's best to call your GP regarding this, as he/she will know what the hospital sent you home with.  Before you know where you are, you will be enjoying your new lease of life.  Take care.  Ray

• Posted

Thank you for your reassuring words. I feel really positive about my THR. And although I am lucky enough to be surrounded by family and friends it's very comforting to find others who have had similar experiences to chat to. Joy.x

• Posted

Hi Joy, glad you've got some anti nausea tablets. Hope you will soon feel loads better. Wishing you well.

• Posted

If you start having diarrhea get checked for c-different. I was sick for several weeks and got worse. Could not eat. Running to bathroom. It was awful. I thought it was all part of surgery. Very common in hospital and rehabilitation. Highly contagious

And dangerous if you don't get it taken care of. After 6 days on antibiotics I started feeling much better and had appetite. I am on 3rd hip surgery and it gets better. Hang in.

• Posted

Hi. God! How awful for you. I'll certainly be aware of this problem. Thanks Joy. X

• Posted

Hi Joy, I didnt eat properly for nearly a month, my appetite wasnt there despite my sister in law cooking some tempting meals for me and hubby. You should not still feel sick though. Is it one of your meds making you feel this way. Call GP surgery and ask for a telephone appointment with one of the docs if they have them or get the GP to visit you. You could also call the ward who looked after you, or do you have an early discharge team in your area. My local hospital has a dedicated elective surgery centre where they do all the hips and knees, when you are sent home the early discharge team visit you at least a couple of times and they are brilliant.I am in the UK too. Dont forget you have had major surgery, I was told to lay down every afternoon for two hours as it helps get rid of the fluid retention, in the beginning I slept for two hours each afternoon as I was not sleeping well. i also used to doze in the chair. I hope you feel better soon x 
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for the advice. Have spoken to my GP earlier today and she feels it's probably medication related. Has given me anti sickness tablets to help the problem. Joy.x

• Posted

Call your doctor and ask for nausea meds refill. It's very important to eat well. 2200 calories is needed for the body to heel. drink protein shakes for energy and feeling better. It helps thru the nausea .

• Posted

Hi Joy, I had my op early September and when I came home I felt so very ill and could not eat - seems I lost a lot of blood during the op and became anaemic. I could only stay awake a short while and had to retreat to bed. Eventually it all passed and I was back to normal BUT I am still walking with a frame for long distances and limping - which is not good. Good luck. Jean
    • Posted

Thank you Jean.

I'm so sorry that you had a rough time of it. Hope you soon have your walking sorted out. I'm so glad I joined this group. Hearing that others have had the same or similar experiences stops me feeling so alone. I'm surrounded by family and friends but none of them have any idea of what it is like to have THR. Take care. Joy.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.