Swelling.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. 

I was wondering how to manage my swelling. I'm 6 days post op. The swelling started in my thigh, from my hip and went down to my knee 4days post op. Then yesterday my knee and calf/shin started swelling today it's moved down to my ankle. To be honest I don't think my thigh is anywhere as swollen as it was today. My swelling is not particularly painful, red or hot so I'm unconcerned about DVT. It's just feels very tight and it's driving me mad! I have been elevating my leg and using an ice pack but this doesn't seem to be helping much. Any advise regarding this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Joy.x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joy it sound like you have already tried rest and Ice. I would go to your local hospital as it could be cellulitis or you are retaining fluid. We do swell after surgery but the skin shouldn't feel tight. X

• Posted

I think swelling is normal after the op, and mine went down towards my ankles like yours. You're doing the right thing, putting your leg up and putting on a cold pack. I'm slim, and my skin used to feel tight like yours. ( If you are worried though, you could always phone your hospital ward for advice.) Good luck.

• Posted

If I were you, I would rest, ice and elevate most of the day for a couple of days and see if it improves. You are very early out from your operation and should be resting most of the time anyway. So you could add the elevation and icing and see what happens.
  • Posted

dear joy, 

This is very normal after Hip Surgery.

During surgery tissues have been  cut, handled and pulled around and can make fluid build up in the hours afterwards. This can stay or ebb and flow for days and even a couple of weeks. 

In addition, due to increased blood and lymph flow; healing happens because there is increased circulation bringing plentiful blood cells, plasma and lymph into the area to supply nutrition and oxygen - all needed for the creation of scar and normal tissue.

My operated leg was swollen from top, going down and my ankle remained swollen and tight for 3 weeks ... a scary sight - as if it did not belong to me - I was on Fragmin bloodthinner and as long as I had no fever and no pain, I was told that it was all part of the healing process ...

Just elevate your leg when laying down - 

all is well ---

Happy holiday season

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi,

thanks for your response. I too am on blood thinning injections so not too concerned about the swelling. Just thought someone on here might have tried a different approach ( if there is one) to the swelling situation. Joy.x

• Posted

Oh I forgot to say....have a peaceful, happy Christmas. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.