Need Advise with AS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I am 38 years old and was diagnosed with AS approximately 2 years ago. I have chronic back pain and had a piece of disc taken out, the back pain didn't disappear totally and was referred to a rheumatologist who did a blood test, MRI and confirmed I had AS. He has only been prescribing me Mobic and Celebrex. I have issues bending but mostly my hip pain is excruciating. I have trouble standing for longer than 20 mins...can't do much about the house and at times all I can do is lie down.

I get stiff in the morning but find it gets worse the more I am active. My rheumatologist is useless and I am at a loss what to do next.

I tried PT to strengthen my core as recommended by my doctor who also advised yoga or Pilates but I am extremely inflexible....I've tried physio...they give me exercises but they don't do much either....most days I lie on a hot water bottle and my partner tries to massage my hugely tight muscles near my hips and spine....i am not sure on a diet and tried magnesium but that hasn't helped much either....

Can someone give me suggestions I am at a loss ...I want my life back....

Thanks

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too would suggest finding exercise that helps you keep moving. I used water aerobics to start, added laps, HOT YOGA WAS GREAT & now I can walk 45 minutes without stopping. I'm still very inflexible but I'm far better than I was even ten years ago.

I also use massage. I get a massage one or two times per week. We do a lot of stretching during and after the maheadassage. I know this doesn't work for many people with AS, but it's worth a try.

As far as the TNF blockers, I used Enbrel for a few months in 2004, it was very successful helping my pain, but it scarred my brain with lesions and gave me MS type symptoms. I've not been on them again. Again, besides the fear of side effects, I'd be in them like I am with Christmas leftovers.

Getting active and staying active are much easier said than done. It's the best medicine for our particular disease. Getting your diet right and keeping the extra pounds off are important as well.

I understand my limitations but I no longer accept them. I am done being a victim of this awful disease and I actively fight it on a daily basis.

I wish you the very best.

• Posted

Your rheumy and mine must know each other. lol. I would ask about muscle relaxers. Personally I chose Diazepam(valium). No side effects, relaxes muscles which is what it was made for and helps with anxiety. 2 birds, one stone. One thing you said is weird( not impossible) with AS, your supposed to get less stiff with activity. OK, my grammer sucks. Went through PT, I know what you mean. It's like " you showed me what to do, why come back to you, so you can show me the same stuff again" Never really got the point myself. I'm opening up a new discussion on meds. Keep track of it, hoping for opinions. They may be usefull for ya.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.