Ladies and orgasm ??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm looking for a bit of advice.  I have been put onto Venlafaxine (started today) after coming off Citalopram for anxiety and depression. I have read through the info sheet and searched 'dr google' and came across a site that said women may struggle or be unable to reach an orgasm, and this can continue indefinatly after they come off this medication.  Now this is really worrying me! I did struggle at the start of citalopram getting to climax, but that soon improved. Having a healthy sex life with my husband is very important to me, not just the desire, but the orgasm too!

Has anyone had any experience of this and should I stay on the venlafaxine? Your thoughts are welcome smile

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Was on ven for 12 years and the difficulty to orgasm was only during the initial phase of adjustment with somewhat dulled sensations for the first few months. Then, back to normal although takes a little longer to reach...but not significantly so and could be age related as well as. The ladies I have spoken to over the years on vena nd many other medications and combos all pretty much report similar issues that were always transient. Libido is lowered but that can arguably be more related to the condition being treated than the treatment itself.
    • Posted

I have been off the drug for 4 yrs now and indeed the sensations intensified (as did my general emotional responses) about 6 months after coming off it. However i had a normal sex life on it except the first 2-3 months as described above.
    • Posted

Thank you! It may seem a strange question but in a life filled with anxiety and depression a good sex life is the only happiness I can get at times and to take that away too seems torturous!

Thanks for being so helpful x

• Posted

Well...take comfort in the fact that you still have drive and desire for a good sex life - so your condition is probably not as bad as you think! I mean i have met depressed folk who found no pleasure in absolutely anything on and off drugs! smile Hang in there. Wishing you an easy and uneventful transition to venlafaxine. It can be a little moody at first so keep your sense of humor on hand in case it is needed smile  All the best. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.